Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Transmissions Flush or drain and fill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Default Transmissions Flush or drain and fill?

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Sedan 2.0L Engine. I think I should put that in my signature.

Anyway, my car is at 88k miles. I recently got a mechanic to change the timing belt and water pump. Afterwards I went to Precision Tune to get an oil change. When they were done they of course told me to all my other fluids were bad and gave me prices for getting those fixed. One of which was my transmission. They said that is the most important and to get that done asap.

Well I know transmissions are a big deal so I've been calling Mitsubishi dealers. Mitsubishi dealers say I should get it done with them because Precision Tune uses some sort of universal transmission fluid, and they use Diamond SPF3 (I think that's what its called) which is only dealers have, and you can only get through special order. They said using anything other than Diamond SPF3 can seriously damage my transmission, and yeah, I believe them.

Problem though is two dealers said I need a flush, and a third said I need a drain and fill. What's the difference?