Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

Smoking out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Default Smoking out of the exhaust

I added oil to my car that burns oil and after driving down the road a bit I started to smoke out of the exhaust. One day last week after adding some oil the car started over heating but my coolant level was full. After the second time adding oil the coolant was still full and the car was not overheating at the time it started to smoke out of the exhaust. I am wondering if this could have been because I added to much oil. If so what can I do now????? Also the car started to leak oil after the second time adding it. Any suggestions????

Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Smoking out of the exhaust

Check you oil level. Are you adding because you think you need it or because you are checking the dipstick properly and it says you need it. I believe from the fill line to the full line is one quart of oil.
What color smoke is it coming from the tailpipe...possibly blown headgasket if white. Check the oil filler cap, if it looks like water droplets are inside or on the filler cap or milkshake consistency; may be time for a new headgasket.
Check your radiator cap..pressure test or buy a new one.
Check thermostat.
Check for where the engine is leaking oil...valve covers, drain plug, dipstick, etc.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 AM

IT is like a light blue/greyish color. I was adding oil because the car burns it and needs it. What do you think now????

Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

What car do you have. I recomend doing a compression test. You may have low compression in one of the pistons that is causing you to burn oil.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM

Did you check the components of the cooling system yet? Radiator cap is cheap...$6-10 if needed, may not be holding pressure properly. If you have coolant with no leaks, than you have a problem with the system itself. Is your fan coming on? Is your radiator clean of leaves\debris? What is the ratio of coolant to water? Is there any part of the front fascia missing from the car? Some of the older Camaro's(80's) would overheat due to the black plastic piece getting torn off coming in/out of driveways and parking lots and therefore the air wasn't being routed to the radiator by the deflector.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 AM

my guess would b u added to much oil.