Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

00 Transmission filter replace...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Default 00 Transmission filter replace...

I want to replace my tranny filter in my 2000 sport XLS 3.0LTR 2WD. Called Auto zone to get a price quote for the filter. Guess what the told me...That I have to dissasemble the tranny to replace the filter..I litterally laughed at the tech and am almost postitve that this is BS..Because I crawled under my truck ,looked at the tranny panand assumed the filter was right under it.........So my qustion is....Anyone changed thier own filter or know if I have to take apart the tranny to replace it???

Thanx

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Default RE: 00 Transmission filter replace...

Just my $.02 but I don't ask Autozone any technically detailed questions like that about any of my vehicles (2001 Audi S4, 1990 Montero, 1989 Montero). I would ask them if I were driving an american built carburated musclecar. LOL

Your filter will be just where you think it is. I'm pretty sure you can just clean it off and put it back in since it's a wire mesh filter. If you really want to, get a replacement from your local dealer or an online place like Rockauto.com

Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 00 Transmission filter replace...

ORIGINAL: zs_crew

I want to replace my tranny filter in my 2000 sport XLS 3.0LTR 2WD. Called Auto zone to get a price quote for the filter. Guess what the told me...That I have to dissasemble the tranny to replace the filter..I litterally laughed at the tech and am almost postitve that this is BS..Because I crawled under my truck ,looked at the tranny panand assumed the filter was right under it.........So my qustion is....Anyone changed thier own filter or know if I have to take apart the tranny to replace it???

Thanx
Yeah dont listen to what they say, they alway think they know what they're talkin abt.Thats why they work in parts b/c they dont know. Drop the pan and replace the filter andgasket and u should be fine.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM

My '02 Monty doesn't have a serviceable filter. Same with the fuel filter. Dealer just told me to change fluid as filter/screen is between the trans housing and the valve body. I'm on my 3rd fluid change and I use Castrol Import trans fluid. It's SPIII compliant. Works great as I have 95K on truck and trans feels brand new. Don't forget to change your transfer case fluid also.