Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Limited Strange sound in the right bank

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Default 02 Limited Strange sound in the right bank

Hi everyone, as it says in the title, the right bank has a strange noise, most prominent when the engine is cold and under a load. Sounds like a cross between clicking and forced air. Nothing like noisy lifters. I used to think it was an exhaust leak around the catalytic converter, but upon closer inspection it is definately internal. I should add that it has 175000 mi, has spent 5 years in alaska, and made the 5000 mile trip twice. I can't tell if it is in the head, which would be better than piston slap. Anyone had to address something like this? I am mechanically inclined, but I have never heard piston slap for myself and am not ready to just make a blind diagnosis. Maybe I should just by a borescope and take a look in the middle cylinder, which I believe to be the culprit.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM

I'll bet your exhaust manifold has a crack.
I had to replace mine (both of em).

Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM

I am of your way of thinking entirely, I spent some time contemplating because I was so sure it was an exhaust leak when I first heard it. I cannot find it, try as I might. That leaves only a crack under the heat shield as a possiblity if it is an exhaust leak. I will pull it off this week and post what I find. It would not be a big surprise as the two 1g eclipses I had adopted in the past both had cracked manifolds. Thanks for the input...

Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Yes, you'll have to pull off the heat shields.
Also, Seafoam it (on a cold engine). It'll show you almost immediately.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM

I pulled the heat shield off of the right exhaust manifold and there was no need for sea foam. Big crack laterally behind the middle oulet. I am going to buy a new exhaust manifold today along with a few other projects for the truck.(new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley) Thanks for the help.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 PM

If I were you, I'd do both. The left bank is a b*tch because there's no room.
I ended up paying the dealer $1500 to do them because I just don't have the time or the tools...

Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Well, there's no reason to do both if only one is cracked. I don't have to remove anything major to replace the right side. If I had to pull the intake manifold for both, then I definately would, but as it stands....