Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Montero XLS - Stuck in a timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Default 02 Montero XLS - Stuck in a timing belt job

I am replacing the timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires on my 02 Montero. I am stuck removing the aluminum pulley assembly that goes across the front of the motor. There is an aluminum brace for the PS pump and AC compressor that wraps around to the front and the pulley brace has one lip behind it. I can almost get it out, but metal posts on the back side stop me from getting it off.
So I looked through the sticky and the setup is a little different on that model. I did go ahead and unbolt the PS and AC and the brace behind them appears to be connected to the motor mount. Anybody else run into this? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM

The a/c compressor needs to come off and tied or set aside out of the way, a/c compressor bracket and alternator all have to come off to get that accessory plate off. At least It had to on mine.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:50 AM

I have an 2001 same make, I left the ac bolted and never had to touch it. Do you have a pic. I just got done with a total top and front rebuild and filling it with antifreeze and trying it out this morning.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:49 PM

shownuff, you were correct. I got a mirror and looked more closely and the AC bracket is separate from the motor mount. I loosened the two bolts a little at the back of the mount and the pulley assembly came right off.

Now I am stuck trying to find the tool that holds the crank pulley to get it off. I thought I would have this all done yesterday, but it wasn't to be. I have seen where several people made their own, which I am considering. I am leaning toward this tool. My pulley holes are not threaded so, I am thinking this would work and is a lot less expensive than other options. None of the part stores in town carry anything like this for the Mitsubishi. Anyone ever try one of these?

Oh, I did try my impact. I have a good gun, but my compressor is only 140psi max. Just not enough.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Default 2002 montero lmd

Everything in front of the engine and the entire face of the engine needs to come off. i did this about 6 months ago

Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 AM

Nope you really don't need that special part. I used a regular socket wrench and a 36" pipe wrench which you can borrow from a plumbing supply place. Then jiggle it and it comes right off. No need for a harmonic balancer puller.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:43 AM

I also made a special tool for the Timing belt tensioner. U will need to do it. I put a nut on a bolt n set it on the old tensioner bearing and put two metal rods about 1" down into the holes then tack welded them together. I don't know why that part wouldn't be a left handed thread it would have made everything much easier...U will see what I mean. Just take your time and watch your torque specs. Especially on the fuel rail which is only about 9 LBS. Not 106 lbs. which is what my CD had on it. IMPORTANT....

Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Thanks. I did make a tool for the crankshaft pulley out of some scrap while at my parents for Christmas. It was barely strong enough, but did the trick.

My concern now as I look toward going back together is the seals on the timing cover. They look shot and the timing set I purchased didn't come with new ones. None of the ones I have seen appear to and I can not locate them individually. What have some of you all done when it comes to the timing cover seals?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM

And I am replacing the camshaft seal on the passenger side as it was leaking. What have you all done to reinstall the new one? I have read elsewhere some just install it until flush. Mitsu has a special too to recess it. I haven't found anything lying around to recess it slightly with.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 AM

My seals were kinda ok so I just used some silicone to glue them back on and they were just fine but nope my gasket kit didn't come with them neither nor the rear timing seals.