Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Timing belt replacement? A job for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Default Timing belt replacement? A job for me?

I've read with interest the posts here about timing belt replacement and am asking for advice.

My girlfriends car is a great running '03 Galant ES (4 cylinder) with 105,000 miles on it. She is beginning to become concerned that the timing belt needs to be replaced for no reason other than age/milage. From what I've read here it looks like I could handle the job: I recently replaced the timing belt and waterpump on a elderly Mazada Miata with no problems.

This forum has made me aware that I have to be careful about timing on counter balance (?) device and that I might as well replace the water pump while I'm at it. It this true? Can someone steer me toward a reliable online source for a "Timing belt /water pump" kit? Is there something else that should be checked/replaced while I'm in there?

In case that I can't do it and have to bring it to a mechanic, what size project is it? Two hours? Three hours? More?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM

for a fwd, plan a weekend. If youre clever itll be about 6 hours. But plan a weekend. Timing belt is one kit. Water pump is one part. Replacing the pump not necessary, but you might want one on hand in case. Youll also be replacing tensioner (hydraulic?) and either guides or idler pulley. Should be in a full KIT.
An engine hoist will make your job a ****load quicker. But most fwds can be done through the side panel - if you hav hands the size of a 10 year old girl. Elsewise prepare for scraped knuckles and cussing. A floorjack will help to tilt the engine in your favour.