Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

03 no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 AM

who makes the OEM radiator caps? am i able to get one online?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 AM

I bought an oem one from Mitsubishi online so that will come soon. It would've been a lot longer if i had to try and get over to the dealership.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 PM

Feeling really bummed out about my Montero today.
I found out they switched the tires to the good side out to make them look like they were new. All of them have bad wear on them. And to top this off one of them went flat last night and I looked at it today only to find out it has a puncture in the side wall which is not repairable. You want to know what caused this??? Get ready…. A foster farm’s corn dog stick!!!

Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 PM

That's shady but you know what they say... If it seems too good to be true than it probably is...

Just be thankful that you are able to do most of the work yourself and you don't have to spend thousands more at the mechanic...

How does one get a corn dog stick in a sidewall?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 PM

I have no idea on the corn dog. how does a corn dog get sharp enough to puncture a tire??? let alone a kevlar at.

I swear its just been a bad day. Yeah if its to good to be true then it is. I shouldve looked the car over more i guess. but for 2900 for a 02 ls with only 166k you cant beat that!

Yeah i will fix it myself just take me a while. it died again today and left me stranded for a hour.

its actually an 02 not an 03. did they have the traction control system whatever Mitsubishi is calling it? in an 02 ls model???

Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Was there at least corn dog left or was it all stick :P

As long as you figure you made out well on it, I guess it's just a project car.. I hope it's not your daily driver ;p

Sucks getting stranded.. Hopefully you don't have to get it towed, that could add up quickly.

I don't know if they did in the 02's or not... They had it in 03 for sure because there's a ton of stuff on google where people are asking about it... They call it Active Stability Control (ASC).

Old 08-11-2015, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Was there at least corn dog left or was it all stick :P

As long as you figure you made out well on it, I guess it's just a project car.. I hope it's not your daily driver ;p

Sucks getting stranded.. Hopefully you don't have to get it towed, that could add up quickly.

I don't know if they did in the 02's or not... They had it in 03 for sure because there's a ton of stuff on google where people are asking about it... They call it Active Stability Control (ASC).
"Was there at least corn dog left or was it all stick :P" Guess the tire got hungry and ate it because there is only the stick left lol.

and yes its my daily driver as i sold my ford explorer.

I did not have to get it towed it eventually started after 30-45 mins of trying off and on.

I still cant find much about the traction if its on the 02 models.... ive done a lot of research but cannot find out what was on each year.

I would love to start tearing into the montero but i have a long list of cars i have to work on first. Ac on my wifes car, her 02 sensor, mass airflow sensor , and purge valve lol. her car has been acting up as well. i haven't done anything but work on cars all this summer.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM

That sucks... If there was still corndog at least you'd have a corn dog to munch on while you were stranded at the side of the road ;P

Well that sucks, I guess you'll just be late a lot, heh.

Glad it started, do you carry a jumper pack in case you kill your battery attempting to start it?

The VIN should definitely ID the year if there's any question, I still haven't found anything that says for sure if ASC/TCS exists on that year.. Does yours have it?

Wow you guys sure know how to pick em eh?

Old 08-22-2015, 05:53 PM

Well I have been having a vacuum leakage issue since i took it home and then discovered it has a radiator issue as well. So i am going to be working on those issues, but i have another question about it.

I was driving it home the other day and when i went around a corner I heard a metal popping noise and then it lost power fortunately i was right in front of my drive way when it happened so i was able to coast into it. The power steering became hard to steer it into the drive way(not sure if this is because the car died but i am thinking so).

I tried restarting it but it wouldn't start it just tried to turn over and made a clunking noise. i turned it off and waited a few minutes to have it start but very rough and it was making loud clicking noise like a bad spark plug maybe?
I left it there for a few days and went to move it today it started up and ran for me to move it a few hundred feet.

So i guess i am wondering..... what could've caused the popping noise followed by the car dying. And also about what could've been making the spark plug noise. and then start and run and drive normally for the few hundred feet.

Could this be caused from the vacuum leak, or the radiator issue??

I am sort of afraid to move it in case its a major engine issue.

thank you for your help with this issue as well.

JP

Old 08-23-2015, 05:19 PM

That is a tough one to diagnose remotely. It is possible that you have a bad motor mount and as you went around the corner the motor moved/shifted producing the metal clunk you heard. In this case it is also possible that it pulled on some part of wire harness and momentarily disconnected a or shorted a wire killing the engine in the process. This is purely speculative - I'm just throwing an idea out there.

I do not know what you mean by spark plug noise - is it electrical spark type of a noise? Perhaps you have a bad spark plug wire that is shorting out. You can start you truck in the dark and look in the engine compartment to see if you notice any wires sparking to ground.

The loud clicking noise might be valve lifter slap. It usually happens on older engines when they sit without running for long time (oil drains out of the lifters). It should go away one engine warms up. There is also a procedure for bleeding trapped air out of the lifters. It has been described many times on this forum.

Quick Reply: 03 no start