Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'05 Full size Montero starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Default '05 Full size Montero starting problems

Hey all-

Recently bought a used 2005 Montero with 58K miles on it. I had an aftermarket remote starter put it to help with the NE winters. I noticed recently that when it is really cold out (below 20 F) the starter kicks over and it almost starts, but the engine does not engage like fuels is not getting into the cylinders. When I get it and manually start it, I have to give it a little gas to get it going and even then it takes a little effort for the engine to fully turn over and engage. Once started, though, it runs like a champ.

On another note, I noticed the low tire pressure warning light comes on intermittently when it is really cold out too, but it turns off when the temp gets over 33 degrees or so.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 AM

Sounds like it could be a number of different things or perhaps a combination of these depending on things like the number of miles you've covered, service intervals, fuel quality in your area, etc.

Could be poor spark at start up; the cause of which could be a low/weak battery, "worn" spark plugs and/or plug wires, a failing coil,....

Could be low fuel pressure at start; the cause of which could be anything from a weak fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter/s (there are 2 on our Monteros), a weak battery (presents itself more often in the cold) not supplying sufficient current to the fuel pump when cold.

What grade oil are you currently using. It's become cold enough in the NE that 10W-30 might start becoming a problem to starting. Especially if you've been using for years over a number of cold winter starts.

This should be enough to get you started. I would look at the battery first.

Just my 2 and 3/4 cents.