Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Full Size Montero Ball Joint Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Default Full Size Montero Ball Joint Project

Anyone had experience or seen any articles re: changing the lower ball joints on a full size Montero (99)? I'm trying figure out how big a project this is.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Anyone had experience or seen any articles re: changing the lower ball joints on a full size Montero (99)? I'm trying figure out how big a project this is.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

You ever get this done? This is an old post so I'm sure you have, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Last edited by Tantrix; 12-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Actually I haven't. I was getting lots of conflicting advice about front end issues from tire stores at the time but in the end I decided to ignore the whole issue. That was probably about 80K miles ago and I really haven't had any serious ball joint symptoms or horrible tire wear since.

So I don't have any useful info for you.......sorry.

Ron

Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Actually I haven't. I was getting lots of conflicting advice about front end issues from tire stores at the time but in the end I decided to ignore the whole issue. That was probably about 80K miles ago and I really haven't had any serious ball joint symptoms or horrible tire wear since.

So I don't have any useful info for you.......sorry.

Ron

If you have checked them or had them checked and they aren't showing signs of needing replacing, then I wouldn't worry about it. Don't use tire wear as an indicator though...ball joints can be literally shot to hell and your tires will wear fine. They are easy to check at home with a jack and a long pry bar you can slip under the tire. I have changed the uppers and lowers on the drivers side and passengers side on my '92 twice...it's a pretty straightforward process.

If you do decide to replace them, let me know and I can type out the process from start to finish.

Last edited by Tantrix; 12-15-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Hey Tantrix - thanks for your offer of help. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to rebuild the front end. Sorry I misinterpreted your post - thought you were looking for the same info.

Ron

Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 AM

No problem...I just happened to have done the uppers and lowers myself twice and pretty much have it down to a science. Do make sure you don't let them get too bad though, I'd hate to see you posting pics of one of your Montero on the side of the road with one of the front wheels completely sideways.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi Tantrix,

I'd be interested in your science. I'm in the middle of ball joints and tie rod ends on our '98. The lowers broke loose alright (the right tools are nice), but were near impossible to clear from the control arm and knuckle. I'm a little concerned about bunging up the new ones on the way on. I'm hoping the answer is not to pull the end of the axle apart ...

Any support is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fringineer
Hi Tantrix,

I'd be interested in your science. I'm in the middle of ball joints and tie rod ends on our '98. The lowers broke loose alright (the right tools are nice), but were near impossible to clear from the control arm and knuckle. I'm a little concerned about bunging up the new ones on the way on. I'm hoping the answer is not to pull the end of the axle apart ...

Any support is appreciated.

I typed out the entire procedure in notepad after I replaced mine. I have sent it to you via private message here. I hope that helps you.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 AM

Thank you Tantrix.

I'm not sure the hub just pulls off of the axle that easily on my '98. I'll need to pull the outer bearing and reset the bearings on the reassembly. Also my knuckle (/hub) won't easily drop off of the lower ball joint post even when it's fully loose. The lower control arm hits the outer CV body first.

Thanks for your work.