Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1985 Montero Carb Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Default 1985 Montero Carb Problem

I hope someone on here can help.....I have an 85 Montero. Runs great. I can let it sit for weeks, days, or overnight and it starts right up. Once I have been driving it and shut it off, it becomes very difficult to start. I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and it will eventually start and the smell of raw gas is apparent, then it runs fine again. It seems to be a carb problem, and I am no carb expert. I am hesitant to remove the carb with all of the vacuum lines it has. Has anyone on here had this problem with a similar generation Montero, or is there a carb expert that can help me get this fixed?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 PM

You are definitely right - it is a carburetor problem. The best way to deal with it is to have it cleaned/rebuilt. Without knowing what you are doing - do not attempt to do it yourself. I'd recommend you search in your area for a carburetor shop (they are still around) or for a mechanic who knows carburetors well. Once you know you found one, they may suggest that you bring the vehicle to them for an adjustment or recommend to rebuilding it. You can take off your carb and have him/them rebuild/clean it. When taking it off, label every hose and take lots of pictures to help you put it back together. Also, watch out for little pins and nuts so that you don't drop them into the intake.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 AM

take the water hoses off the choke housing and blow out the housing with compressed air reinstall the water hoses it should fix the problem

Old 03-23-2018, 01:03 PM

Ok, so the warm starting issue has gotten worse, so I was deciding between rebuilding the OEM carb, or doing the Weber conversion. I decided to order the Weber and should have it next week. There's not much I can find on this specific conversion, but some other models seem pretty straightforward. Any tips or trick that anyone know that would help me out? The Weber people say everything I need is in the kit so are there any miscellaneous parts I should have on hand?