Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1991 Mitsubishi Montero water in oil.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Default 1991 Mitsubishi Montero water in oil.

3.0 V6 has tons of water in oil and blowing white smoke like crazy, compression is fine all around and water level stays the same. Radiator holds pressure aswell. Plugs arent fouling, yet there's alot of water coming out the exhaust, it's all water no coolant. I changed the oil twice trying to clean it out, since it's been sitting for awhile but can't figure out where that much water is coming from. The oil is a light brown chocolate color.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM

Hi Nolah,

are you sure the water coming out of the exhaust isn't just normal condensation? How long have you let the engine run with these symptoms? If there is engine coolant leaking in the engine cylinder, there should be a milky residue on the bottom of the oil cap, or oil floating in the radiator if you have let the engine get to operating temperature to 'cycle'. How long did the cooling system hold pressure? did you use a pressure tester @ 15 psi and start the vehicle with the tester still connected? With a bad head gasket, the pressure will be inconsistent like rapid increase decrease or just increase. With out a pressure tester, and the radiator cap off engine running, you can look and see if there are steady stream of bubbles coming to through the radiator. The last thing I can suggest is to put pressure the cylinders to listen for any leaks that way.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 AM

I'd like to add I have zero knowledge of the 3.0 v6. I wish someone else would give their two cents because if it is not any of those, the only other thing I can think of is it may be fuel getting into the oil? Does the oil smell like gas?

Keep us updated!