Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1995 mitsubishi montero iac issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Default 1995 mitsubishi montero iac issues

Hi I am new to this forum so please let my introduce myself my name is Jeremy or Jay for short i own a 1995 mitsubishi montero sr 3.5l v6. I have horrible grammer and misspell alot of words please forgive me. Now to my problem I have taken my throttle body(tb) off as since i have bought this great truck it hasnt been cleaned and man was it dirty i have now installed the tb back on fired it up and its idle is at 2k in park but is not jumping back and forth cold or warm...which it did get warm extremely fast i took it out on the road it idles at about 1.1k in reverse second and drive at a stand still holding the break on the road it is responding better than it ever has when i step on the gas it goes and i mean it GOES! its great but as soon as i go back to park it jumps idle back to 2k or 1.9k but it doesnt jump back and forth. The throttle body was extremely dirty I have currently had my battery brain shut(not stock) off and my negative terminal disconnected now for almost 20 minutes to maybe reset the idle air control??? any one experienced this before and maybe like to put their 2 cents in ?

Last edited by jay martin; 02-05-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM

you can adjust the IAC also make sure the IAC is working check the o-ring on the BISS screw

Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Default Fixed!

the issue was not the iac really at all i took it off and replaced the o ring with a better one and it still was not the issue as i am not the original owner and knowing where the montero came out of i was also looking for previous owner mistakes or fixes as well. chasing the problem i took the cover off the top of the motor and noticed a screw has been twisted off on the bracket for the throttle cable my iac is working fine as my idle was pinned at 2500 and was not bouncing i noticed some old placement marks on the throttle cable just placed it back where it was and it was idling at about 900. with a clean throttle body and clean iac....so i moved it a little further down until at running temp it idled at 700 now when i start it warm or cold it idles at about 700 and after driving and going into park it idles at about 1k sooo future reference to anyone who is not the original owner look for what i call band aid fixes by the previous owner...this last owner instead of cleaning the iac or throttle body just moved the throttle cable to make it idle right under stress

Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM

you should of told us that it was at a high idle before you took off and cleaned the throttle body

Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Default clarifying

If my throttle was pinned before i removed the throttle body and cleaned it i would have said that before i removed the throttle body the idle was anywhere from 800 to 1.1k but i was burning ALOT of fuel which was my reasoning for cleaning the throttle body it didnt pin at 2500 until after it was cleaned. now after seafoam through the block and in the tank with a very intense cleaning of the tb and iac i do not burn fuel as much anymore it idles right and when i step on the gas it responds like a champ. but once again the idle was not pinned before i removed and cleaned the tb only after.