Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1998 Montero Catalytic Converters- California Smog issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Default 1998 Montero Catalytic Converters- California Smog issue

After 17 years of passing smog like a champ my 1998 Montero doesn't pass in California. Needs catalytic converter. Mitsubishi dealer is saying he can't find them. Anyone know where I can get them. This vehicle is in great shape & runs like a great.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by peggylavigne
After 17 years of passing smog like a champ my 1998 Montero doesn't pass in California. Needs catalytic converter. Mitsubishi dealer is saying he can't find them. Anyone know where I can get them. This vehicle is in great shape & runs like a great.
Local muffler shops should have it if you haven't done it yet. It'd be cheaper, I would think.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

This is going to be a very tough situation because you are in CA.

CA is very strict with smog checks. I know they keep changing the smog process. First it required going on the rollers, and i believe now they dont? All just checking that OBDII checks pass? plus an intensive visual check.

EDIT, forget above, its only for 2000+ vehicles

DrewTech Emissions
https://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/newsrelease.php?id=355

So it looks like you still have to do the standard sniffer test.

As far as I know you have to find a CA approved aftermarket cat that has the EO numbers specific for your vehicle. Unless the tech overlooks this and is lazy, I have seen smog shops cross reference aftermarket cats to make sure it was for the one intended for the vehicle. in an old car I had, I had passed the actual sniffer test and my car was running clean but they still failed me because they cross referenced the EO # on the cat I had installed, it was an aftermarket stock replacement--not high flow or anything, but they failed me because they said it was not for my vehicle. That was crazy, not saying all do it, but I know they can, and if the do, they can/will fail you.

Also there really isn't any aftermarket manufacturers that make OEM replacement cats. Honestly the only folks I know who do are Magnaflow.

Catalytic Converters

I checked and they do not have any for the 1998 montero, even montero sport.

Maybe there are federal cats out there, but because they are not for CA, technically its illegal for sellers to even sell and ship the cat to the state of CA. you will notice this even on ebay.

People usually go to Magnaflow first because it is more affordable than going to the dealership for a stock OEM cat. Which brings me to your situation. It's crazy they no longer can access a cat for the 98.

I would advise you check ebay, maybe craigslist, local junkyards. Obviously these will be used and you can only hope they are still filtering. Maybe try another dealership. Get the official mitsubishi part number and you can use that to see if people are selling it on ebay, or do a US check if any other dealerships have it sitting around.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Default California catalytic converters not available

If California Mitsubishi dealerships can't get California catalytic converters shouldn't there be some way for California smog referees to either allow the 49 state products or allow the vehicle on the road? This is totally ridiculous that such a great vehicle isn't allowed on the road. My husband had to trade in a 2005 F150 truck because his catalytic converters for California were $5000.00 just for parts! I'm seeing a California trend here. Either they are over pricing CA catalytic converters or they are not available to the California vehicle owners. Oh by the way the couple of muffler shops are not able to get the Mitsubishi catalytic converters either. This vehicle has 3 and 2 need replacing. What's next, Any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM

If California Mitsubishi dealerships can't get California catalytic converters shouldn't there be some way for California smog referees to either allow the 49 state products or allow the vehicle on the road? This is totally ridiculous that such a great vehicle isn't allowed on the road. My husband had to trade in a 2005 F150 truck because his catalytic converters for California were $5000.00 just for parts! I'm seeing a California trend here. Either they are over pricing CA catalytic converters or they are not available to the California vehicle owners. Oh by the way the couple of muffler shops are not able to get the Mitsubishi catalytic converters either. This vehicle has 3 and 2 need replacing. What's next, Any suggestions?
yea you bring up a very good point. magnaflow as i said i believe is the only one who makes aftermarket LEGAL CA approved cats, so if they dont make it, and you cant get it at the dealership you have to go used and check craigslist, ebay, junkyards but this comes at a risk that those cats also may no longer be efficient and working

i am aware of how expensive cats are for CA, it is ridiculous.

you might be right, the gov has something to do about it. maybe its their way to get old cars out of the roads so people can drive cleaner vehicles.

they might have reasoning though:
http://www.lung.org/local-content/ca...t-polluted.pdf

even coastal cities that you figure wont be on that list are, and a lot of the biggest cities are in the top 10 rank IN THE ENTIRE USA. so that is bad and I see the justification on that end.

good luck anyways and hope you find the cat you need

Old 11-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by judo
Local muffler shops should have it if you haven't done it yet. It'd be cheaper, I would think.
I just got a quote of $350 R&R at muffler shop and $500 from my long time mechanic.
Fortunately I have one of the cheaper cats and replacement is as easy access as you can get except mabe for the exaust pipe tail end cat

Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
yea you bring up a very good point. magnaflow as i said i believe is the only one who makes aftermarket LEGAL CA approved cats, so if they dont make it, and you cant get it at the dealership you have to go used and check craigslist, ebay, junkyards but this comes at a risk that those cats also may no longer be efficient and working

i am aware of how expensive cats are for CA, it is ridiculous.

you might be right, the gov has something to do about it. maybe its their way to get old cars out of the roads so people can drive cleaner vehicles.

they might have reasoning though:
http://www.lung.org/local-content/ca...t-polluted.pdf

even coastal cities that you figure wont be on that list are, and a lot of the biggest cities are in the top 10 rank IN THE ENTIRE USA. so that is bad and I see the justification on that end.

good luck anyways and hope you find the cat you need
I wouldnt be suprised at all that the plan is to get rid of older cars. I started looking around for a used car and with many you have to assume a timing belt needs to be changed unless you can get the receipt for it having been don. Unlikely if from dealers and slightly better chances from a private party . many people will not be able to afford the emissions and electronics malfunctions to keep their cars running. i see the day is on us and getting worse. As for pre 76 cars...I cant imagine them being exempt for much longer. I have a couple Ive kept for years, thank goodness,but they need from recon to some moderate restoring .

Old 12-11-2020, 09:29 PM

I was told by a cali smog rep that if there are none available for my MSport,they will likely gie me some kind of pass. This was a couple years ago . Some smof station fond me 2 or 3 I needed. My bill was $2500. Ouch Could have been worse the tech said. My other 3.0 with 240K + hasnt failed a calif test yet, but my other MSport failed with 145 or so. Ive got to think about getting rid of them both..well Ive been saying that for 2 years,but it is true. I really like them. They give me no trouble and ..well One day they will.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-11-2020 at 09:32 PM.