Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 gen 2.5 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Default 2000 gen 2.5 fuel pump

Last week I did quite a bit of searching to find more info on replacing the fuel pump hanger assembly on my truck. I was not able to find many specifics for this year and model combination so following is some info for those needing to do this in the future.

The steel tubings coming out of the hanger assembly were badly corroded with rust flaking off. Fuel had begun seeping through the supply line tube. I checked with the dealer and this part costs over $600. I called MS recycling in Rancho Cordova, Ca and they had one that was rust free for $85 plus shipping. This also included the fuel pump and strainer which I did not need but now have a spare.

You also need to replace the gasket which I was able to purchase very easily at the local parts store(car quest).

To gain access to the hanger you simply fold up the rear seats and remove the cargo area carpeting. There you will find an access plate with 6 bolts. Be care removing these bolts as I had one shear. The ends of those bolts are exposed to the elements. I was able to back them out a few turns and then spray generously with PB Blaster and let sit for a day. Hitting them with blaster from underneath would probably also help. Do not use a torch as you are near the fuel tank and vapors could ignite.

Once the plate is removed you will see the hanger assembly. There are 2 electrical plugs, the supply and return. 6 nuts on captive studs hold the hanger in place. Hit these nuts with some blaster also because you do not want one of these to break.

Before you remove the nuts or do any more work you should relieve the pressure on the fuel line by disconnecting the power leads and then try to start the truck. You could also pull the fuel pump relay which is buried in front of the speaker next to the glove box. After clearing the pressure from the line disconnect the neg terminal on the battery.

Now you can remove the 6 nuts. Once they are off remove the return line by simply removing the clamp and sliding the hose off. The supply line is a little more tricky as it uses a Dorman fitting to attach a short length of flexible fuel line. Clean out as much rust from inside the Dorman clip and pinch together while pulling and slightly twisting the fuel hose. This did not come off easily for me and I destroyed the Dorman clip. But not a problem as most auto parts stores sell these.

Now you can swap the new hanger for the old by reversing the removal process. Torque the 6 nuts to appr 22 ft/lbs in a criss cross manner.

One note though. If the tubing on the top of your hanger is very rusty then the section of solid tubing between the flexible line and the fuel filter may also be on its way out.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice step by step write up. I'm sure this will be useful for many who have similar issues.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:08 AM

No problem.

BTW, this procedure should be the same for '98 and '99 also.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:55 AM

'01 full size Montero (most likely the later years as well) also have a hatch for accessing the fuel pump. It is located under the second row of seats. It is nice, since you do not have to peel away any carpets to get to it - just fold down the seat.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Very nice to have an opening there Hunter