Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 Montero Sport 3.0 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Default 2000 Montero Sport 3.0 Engine Swap

I am swapping out my 3.0 broken timing belt blown engine with an '01 model.

I'll be following the guidance within the manual as laid out in section 11A-36 for Engine Assembly - Removal and Installation.

I'll be pulling all external accessories from the original motor and placing on the replacement short block to facilitate matching up with electronics, etc.

I'd appreciate any tricks of the trade from those who've taken this road that may help me avoid the inevitable road blocks that pop up in the process of an engine swap for this rig.

I'll also be posting questions, issues that arise in the course of this journey--and would greatly appreciate any ideas folks have for taking advantage of the opportunity to improve performance or address little quirks that have emerged over the years since this rig hit the road.

Sincerely, Marko

Old 11-25-2017, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a good project. We are here if you need help Best of luck.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Thank you Hunter. Glad to see this forum is active.
In the "Pre-removal Operation" listing it shows the Transmission Assembly Removal as the final step. Just how far does the tranny need to be removed? I'm thinking just lowering it and staging until the motor's ready to go back in--unless there'll be a need for movement around the bottom of the engine and not wanting to move around the tranny.
Appreciate your thoughts...

Old 11-27-2017, 02:55 PM

I hope someone with more direct experience will be able to confirm (larry4406), but I believe you do not need to remove transmission. It needs to be unbolted from the engine but you should be able to leave it hanging on the transmission support crossmember. You may need to loosen up the cross member mounting bolts in order to get to the upper bolts connecting transmission to engine. If it turns out that transmission is not balanced at that point without the engine bolted to the front, you can just support it with some wood blocks or a jack.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM

The transmission stays in the vehicle. Check out my threads on engine removal. I have a 3.5L.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:01 PM

Need to take out my motor to rebuild it any information on how to get it out will help

Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM

What year/model are you working on? Lots of info here already on pulling engines on both Sport and mom-Spirt models. Use search button first. If you need clarification, it might be easier to post a question within those threads, so that you don't have to repeat full on instructions.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by marko
Thank you Hunter. Glad to see this forum is active.
In the "Pre-removal Operation" listing it shows the Transmission Assembly Removal as the final step. Just how far does the tranny need to be removed? I'm thinking just lowering it and staging until the motor's ready to go back in--unless there'll be a need for movement around the bottom of the engine and not wanting to move around the tranny.
Appreciate your thoughts...
I just did this swap a couple of weeks ago one 3.0. It is as stated, must drop tranny crossmember to reach top housing bolts. You shouldn't need to remove the trans. After I broke and removed those I put the crossmember back to support the trans while I pulled the engine. There is a ground on the front right down by the compressor that I missed so watch out for that. Also this was a giant pain in the A without a lift and those bell housing bolts.

Good luck!