Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 Montero sport battery light. Problem. Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Unhappy 2000 Montero sport battery light. Problem. Plz help

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi montero sport. With the 3.0 engine awd. And here recently my battery light and my brake light on the dash has been coming on. I've drove the car for about a month like this. Will the lights are on. I can start it and unhook the battery cable. And the car will die. But it's never failed to start. But the lights don't stay on all the time. And there's no Rhime or reason. Can someone help. I thought about putting a new alternator. But it charges good most of the time. And I put a new battery in it. Plz help.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:13 PM

The symptoms you describe are indicative of an issue with the alternator. It is possible that the malfunction is intermittent. Check the alternator/voltage regulator.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 PM

alternator alert it seems:

There are two ways to test the voltage coming from the alternator. 1 is to place the positive multi-meter probe (red) and touch it to the red terminal connector coming out of the alternator. Now take the negative (black) multi-meter probe and touch it to some metal part of your car frame (like a bolt head nearby or even the negative terminal on the car battery). Don’t ground to the alternator itself. That would be potentially bad. You should now be getting a reading on your multi-meter display. If you don’t have good access to your alternator, then you can simple test the alternator by touching the positive multi-meter probe to the positive terminal on your battery and likewise the negative probe to the negative terminal on your battery.