Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Sport Battery/Brake light intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Default 2003 Montero Sport Battery/Brake light intermittent

This montero has a new battery and alternator. Oil leaking on alternator problem has been resolved. No more leaks. Now the battery/brake light blinks intermittently. Connections seem tight around alternator and battery. Battery and alternator checked out good at auto zone. Whoever figures this one out gets a gold star. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 PM

One more thing.. Is the brake/battery both the same light? Could it just be an ABS problem or anything related to the brakes and nothing to do with the charging system? Is there a way a way to isolate the ABS system from the charging system in order to test it?

Last edited by anothermontero; 06-25-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM

You can try to follow diagnostics workup on this thread:
The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® :: View topic - ABS Fault codes? connector?
See if you are able to pull any ABS codes using the methods described. If anything else, it will tell you if there is an ABS fault code or not.

As far as the question of whether alternator and ABS are on the same light, you can pull the cluster and see that from the back once you pull the bulbs. Somehow I doubt that they would be on one circuit - they are two very distinct and very important systems. I'd bet they are separate. You may have some other electrical issue that causes both lights to flicker at the same time. Do you notice any other gauges or lights misbehaving when the flickering occurs?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM

Thanks Hunter. When the idiot light flickers the headlights flicker slightly. But at the same time if you put a meter on the battery with the engine running it checks out steady 14V. Very odd. Two years ago that same battery/brake light came on before and it was a bad alternator. It was not charging. Since then I changed the battery and alternator. I'll check out the resource you posted.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 AM

It sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere. It is possible that it is a bad ground (loose or corroded contact point). It can also be a bad battery cable. It might have a corrosion or crack under the insulation where it is not obvious and under certain conditions you have an intermittent connection. You should test voltage drop on both main positive and main ground. It will help if you are able to flex/move the wires while you are doing this. I would disconnect all ground contacts, clean them and re-tighten.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM

The voltage regulator inside the alternator was bad. I sat and watched the voltmeter for 10 minutes until i finally saw the voltage shoot up to around 30V. Replaced the alternator and resolved the problem. Thanks for ya'll help!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Hello...New Member here...
Does anyone knows about nm pajero in Australia?
We have strange regulation,,,that we can not use brake light top middle section one...because it blocks the view from spare tyres...
Anyway,,,gov made it dummy brake light...
I believe you guys have brake light ours and active one...(Nm pajero/ montero is same version right???)
I was looking for sockets I can fit it in...there...stock brake light cover,,,I read somewhere you can get one active brake light for it....
Can anyone guide me where I can buy one of those??? Even replace it...?
Sorry if I reposted same question,,,I was looking for it but no luck...

Last edited by dou_nut; 01-07-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:57 AM
Default Oil killed your alternator

Originally Posted by anothermontero
This montero has a new battery and alternator. Oil leaking on alternator problem has been resolved. No more leaks. Now the battery/brake light blinks intermittently. Connections seem tight around alternator and battery. Battery and alternator checked out good at auto zone. Whoever figures this one out gets a gold star. Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem and I went to AutoZone as well they told me my battery under load test was bad but my alternator was fine well I bought a battery and everything worked until the battery ran down 8 hours later if I replace the battery or recharge it everything runs great again until the battery goes dead your problem is that the alternator will show its fine one minute but it's not the next and it is likely caused by an oil leak a company called motor parts of America or MPA has made a solution for those of us that do not want to spend the time and money to repair all of these leaks here is a YouTube link I hope it helps and I want my gold star.

https://youtu.be/RhFoFSe1A3U