Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 Montero Sport: Windshield Washer Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Default 2000 Montero Sport: Windshield Washer Motor Replacement

How do you replace the windshield washer motor for a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport?

It's behind the front bumper, passenger side. How do I get to it?

I've tried (so far)

1. Removing the passenger headlight housing....but it won't pull out of the fender....the pegs won't pull out!

2. Removed the fog light vent covering. This vehicle does not have fog lights installed but it has plastic vents that can be removed by unscrewing two screws. The windshield washer pump is below the opening once the vent is removed enabling me to see or to put my hand far enough inside to touch the pump motor.

3. I tried getting to the windshield washer pump motor from underneath but I can't see it entirely and I can't fit my hand up there to do anything to it.

I'm really frustrated. Do I need to remove the entire front bumper? Is that the easiest solution? Or do I have to jack up the front end, remove the tire, and then remove the inside fender covering just to remove the plastic molding from the passenger headlight assembly...to remove the headlight assembly...to reach down to get to the pump motor?

I'm so confused! Help!

I look forward to your responses.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Please read. And please help.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 PM

#1 is the correct answer. You most likely missed the one bolt hidden behind the splash guard over the wheel. Remove two or three of the plugs and fold it back. You will be able to access the back of the headlight. There are two bolts back there if I remember correctly. The headlight can then be removed.

I also took out the grill cover for the fog lamps. Mine does not have them. You will use that hole to access one of the bolts for the washer resevoir. Remove the resevoir and you can pull the pump out. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Hamlit2000
How do you replace the windshield washer motor for a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport?

It's behind the front bumper, passenger side. How do I get to it?

I've tried (so far)

1. Removing the passenger headlight housing....but it won't pull out of the fender....the pegs won't pull out!

2. Removed the fog light vent covering. This vehicle does not have fog lights installed but it has plastic vents that can be removed by unscrewing two screws. The windshield washer pump is below the opening once the vent is removed enabling me to see or to put my hand far enough inside to touch the pump motor.

3. I tried getting to the windshield washer pump motor from underneath but I can't see it entirely and I can't fit my hand up there to do anything to it.

I'm really frustrated. Do I need to remove the entire front bumper? Is that the easiest solution? Or do I have to jack up the front end, remove the tire, and then remove the inside fender covering just to remove the plastic molding from the passenger headlight assembly...to remove the headlight assembly...to reach down to get to the pump motor?

I'm so confused! Help!

I look forward to your responses.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Thank you very much for replying. I ended up having to replace the passenger headlight assembly and found out that that was the best way to get it. You learn something new everyday!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM

I just replaced my winshield washer pump on my 2000 montero sport. The pump motor is located at the very bottom of the fluid reservoir just inside the bottom of the front passenger bumper (just below the fog lights or fog light cutout). I was able to lay under the bumper from the front of the vehicle and remove the washer motor in about 5 seconds. It is only held into the reservoir by a rubber grommet. Feel around the bottom front of the reservoir where the electrical harness and rubber tube come out--that is the washer motor. Wiggle it back and forth a few times and it will pop out. Be prepared to get wet if there is any fluid left as it will all spill out. Pop the harness and rubber tube off and you're set. The rubber grommet should stay in the reservoir. If it comes off, it is much easier to place the rubber grommet back in the reservoir before installing the motor. To install, connect the rubber tube securely, snap in the wire harness, and plug the motor back into the rubber grommet tightly. It will only fit in one way so you'll have to move the motor around as it is difficult to see the placement.

In short, there is no need to remove the reservoir to replace the winshield washer motor. It literally is a 45 second job from start to finish. Hope this helps with future owners looking to replace the motor.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by panderson
#1 is the correct answer. You most likely missed the one bolt hidden behind the splash guard over the wheel. Remove two or three of the plugs and fold it back. You will be able to access the back of the headlight. There are two bolts back there if I remember correctly. The headlight can then be removed.

I also took out the grill cover for the fog lamps. Mine does not have them. You will use that hole to access one of the bolts for the washer resevoir. Remove the resevoir and you can pull the pump out. Hope this helps.
hey guys how in the hell do you remove the splash guard? I am trying to replace my turn signal bulbs, but those things holding guard does not look like a screws...more like some clips. Do I just pull the thing? I am afraid to brake them.
Please let me know....

Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 AM

> Thanks ! i'm Changing it soon ! so reading this was quite useful >

Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by John235
In short, there is no need to remove the reservoir to replace the winshield washer motor. It literally is a 45 second job from start to finish. Hope this helps with future owners looking to replace the motor.
Yes - That Worked Great - I tried it a couple of times before this time and it never worked - This time i just went there looked at it with my fingers pulled it a bit and all the water came out ... after that i took the electric plug off and replaced it with a $17 part from autozone ... well that was the cheapest i could get ...

Easy .

now i have to worry about the mechanic that broke a HUGE bolt that holds the break pads while changing the breaks and rotors !!! Thanks again for the post