Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

03 Montero Sport Windshield Washer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Default 03 Montero Sport Windshield Washer Issues

I'm searching for a little help, as everything I've tried has gotten me nowhere... My 2003 Montero Sport's windshield washer fluid won't come out, as it should.

The washer fluid tank is full and there are no kinks in the line from the tank to the nozzles.

When I activate the washer fluid, the wipers work as they should, but the fluid only dribbles out of the nozzles on the hood. I can hear the washer motor, but perhaps even though it can be heard, it's still bad and not pushing out the fluid like it should? I'm guessing that by hearing the motor run, it's not a fuse.

Any other ideas before I just replace the motor anyway? I'm average (at best!) at doing that type of work, so I wanted to see if there is anything else I should try. Driving in wet, slushy NE Indiana isn't ideal without any windshield washing capabilities... Thankfully, it looks like the motor will only be $20 to replace and an hour of my time, if that's all it is...

Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM

If you can hear the motor running that should be good. Is there a cracked hose somewhere as that would seem to be the answer.
Try removing the hose from the TEE connector under your hood and then try it to see if is clogged jets. Let us know how you make out !!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Two things:
1. Unplug the hose from the motor and run the washer it - if water comes out in a good stream your motor is good. If motor runs (makes noise) but barely anything coming out - you need new motor.
2. Check the little outlet holes where the fluid comes out on top of the hood. You can take a sewing needle or a pin and gently poke in the middle of the nozzle. It is very easy for some crud to build up there and it can prevent fluid from coming out.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks, guys... As soon as it gets above 10 degrees in NE Indiana, I'll be trying these solutions out.

I've tried using a wire brush on the nozzles that shoot out the fluid on the top of the hood, but I will definitely try something a little more precise, like a needle.

I appreciate your feedback and will let you know how it turns out!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by krcline
Thanks, guys... As soon as it gets above 10 degrees ...
I think you just found your problem - too freaking cold. I know that windshield washer fluid is rated to not freeze at 32, but I'm sure it will freeze if it gets cold enough. You may just have the solution frozen in the tiny hoses. Once it warms up it may just start flowing.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 AM

1) disconnect the hoses on the other side of the hood and blow the nozzles out with compressed air, rather than attacking them with a needle.
1b) then check motor function as hunter said.

2) at 10% methylated spirits to your tank - it will stop it freezing.