Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 Montero Temperature gauge mal function

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Caicaraskiki
I have the exact same problem with a 2001 Montero Ltd. I had the transmission replaced, and after getting it back I noticed the overheating issue. The gauge immediately jump to the top, and I verified the vehicle was not overheating. It was scary to drive in this fashion, but I was convinced the problem was electrical, and that nothing mechanical was causing anything to overheat.

I returned to the AAMCO dealer and demanded that he fix whatever damage he caused. Of course, he denied any wrongdoing, checked his computer, and suggested that I replace a sensor. However, the computer identified more than one is a possibility. He stated they had nothing to do with his repair, and I was not in a position to prove otherwise. I paid for the replacement of the sensor, drove away, and within a block the temperature gauge was back up at the very top showing overheating. I immediately returned, whereupon he suggested the other sensor identified earlier may be the one causing the problem. I told him I wanted him to replace it for free since he sold me a sensor that had nothing to do with the problem. He refused any credit, and defended his action by saying his computer told him the replaced sensor was bad. Total horse crap. Again, I was in no position to prove anything. He wanted to keep on charging me for every harebrained idea that occurred to them. I told him to shove it. I elected to continue driving the car, which I have done without issue for over a year.

The problem I have today concerns passing an admissions test in Arizona. The car passed the test, but they flunked me anyway because the "check engine" light remains on. They agreed it otherwise passed. They also checked "catalytic converter," according to my wife, who has the car in another city.

I told her to take the car to an AutoZone and have it checked out for free. She did, and reported back that they checked off three possible problems, the catalytic converter, and two other sensors.

I reviewed all for him responses on this subject, and reviewed other posts online, and it appears there is really no fixing the temperature gauge issue, apart from buying a new car. Has anyone successfully made the repair? The posts here were made earlier, and I am just wondering if there is a happy ending? I do not wish to spend a lot of money down the toilet. Any ideas on the repair of the catalytic converter? All responses greatly appreciated.
It looks like these are common issues from reading other posts. I have 01 Montero Limited 4X4 and share same gas and temperature gauge issues. They have not worked properly in over 4 years. My temperature gauge reads whatever it reads. I don't bother with it after Pepboys checked it out and advised it was not overheating. When my gas gauge reads a quarter tank, it means its empty. I have an oil leak and some tapping sound like timing is off. I don't notice any loss of power or compression. I have purchased a new valve cover gasket, plugs and plug wires to do a tuneup and hopefully resolve the oil leak and the occasional tapping engine noise. Except for the issue of passing inspection, I have managed to tolerate these problems for years. I have done one timing belt changed. I bought my truck at 32000 miles, changed belt at 100000 miles, now 159000 miles. Never changed the transmission fluid. No issues with that. The transaxle gear light has only 3/4 lighted green illuminating. I have never changed the transaxle fluid. Engines is in near perfect condition. Drives flawlessly. Since I moved to Metro Atlanta in Georgia, they require inspection and check engines light stays on with catalyst converter as one of identified code errors. If I can find a cheaper way out I'm a happy camper. Any help is appreciated. Thanks....newbie...

Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 AM

With my soldering work I was able to fix the fuel gauge but not the temperature gauge. So in the end I fitted an after-market temperature gauge. It turned out to be quite a big job but I was very satisfied with the end result. I do not have any trouble with idiot lights coming on, and no problems with the catalytic converter. However I have persistent problems with vibration in the transmission - like driving on a rumble strip. That has been posted separately on this forum.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Default Temp guage malfunction

I have a 2002 XLS that started showing "hot" on the guage in the summer of 2011. I changed the fan thermostat, fan clutch, radiator, water pump (and timing belt while I was there) and both sending units, all with no difference. I was in the grocery and found a baking thermometer that went up to 500 degrees. I stuck it in the radiator and started the engine, letting it warm up to "hot". the thermometer read 195! The same as the new thermostat! I have not tried to work on the guage, but it is the only option left.

I was just so tired of working on it, that when I found the temperature was actually OK, I just drove it like that. If I tackle the guage I will post what I find