Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
MHC
Default 2001 Montero Ltd

I have a 2001 Montero Ltd. with 180K on it. Everytime I turn the wheel to left while braking while coming to a stop, I get a clicking noise and pulsating through the brake pedal. Dealer said that the code showed that it was the passenger side wheel sensor. I had this replaced and still the same problem. Also, after about 20 minutes or so the C/D Lock on the 4WD starts to flash. Dealer said they were related which appears not to be the case. Any thoughts on any of this? Many thanks.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM

Hi MHC
IMO, it sounds like a couple different issues going on here.
The clicking noise sounds like it could be a sticky caliper and the pulsing is probably caused by warped rotors (most likely from overheating caused by the stuck caliper) At 180k miles, that's not unlikely if you haven't done the calipers before. I had to replace mine at 70k.

I doubt this is related to the c/d light flashing which could be any number of issues. You'll need the error codes checked again to determine that issue and don't bother taking it to auto zone or pep boys for that, you'll need the dealer to scan it.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 AM
MHC

HI MTC 37,

Many thanks for your reply. Couple more details. This clicking and pulsating actually happened after new rotors and one new caliper were installed. I am beginning to think either the new caliper or the old one is the culprit. Regarding the flashing C/D lock I was told by the dealer that this could be either from the faulty front wheel sensor or different sized tires (the latter sounds lame, but who knows). No code seems to come up for this. I have yet to drive it long enough to find out if the wheel sensor sorted the problem. Again, thanks for your help.