Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Sport 3.0 Overheating on Grades

Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM

In that case I'd be suspecting the water pump. I know you said you've replaced it recently. Was it and OEM Mitsubishi pump? It's possible that the aftermarket may have worse flow and it only shows up on long grades when engine has to work extra hard. When you replaced the water pump, did you replace timing belt and tensioner? Old tensioner could allow some belt slippage over the water pump pulley.

Before you go any further. Check for air trapped in the system once more. Park on the level surface (hopefully cold engine or let it cool off). Open the radiator cap (slowly), Find and unscrew two bleeder bots near the thermostat housing (I think they are 12mm size heads). Those small bolts are going VERTICALLY into the housing near radiator hoses. You should see coolant coming out slowly from the openings when you add coolant to the radiator. If you have any air trapped in the system, this you'll have big bubbles coming first, then coolant.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM

I’ve had this problem before with my montero...i had an egr code for restricted flow,cleared it using my obd tool. After a week of no check engine light I went for a long drive. I noticed my temp going higher than normal when going uphill. Checked everything on my way back but all seems to be working. Then the check engine light came on again..same restricted flow of the egr. Turns out the egr vacuum solenoid is intermitently faulty. Changed the solenoid and cleaned egr ports on intake manifold and everything is back to normal again..not saying we have thesame problem.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by carlsson01
I’ve had this problem before with my montero...i had an egr code for restricted flow,cleared it using my obd tool. After a week of no check engine light I went for a long drive. I noticed my temp going higher than normal when going uphill. Checked everything on my way back but all seems to be working. Then the check engine light came on again..same restricted flow of the egr. Turns out the egr vacuum solenoid is intermitently faulty. Changed the solenoid and cleaned egr ports on intake manifold and everything is back to normal again..not saying we have thesame problem.
Interesting point. Never thought of EGR malfunction being a contributing factor to overheating. Looked more into it and it turns out you are right - it could be a contributor under certain conditions. According to the article other points that can contribute to overheating - low engine oil level, transmission malfunction, restricted exhaust, sticking brake calipers.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Yes hunterD...i was skeptical at first when I learned about it. That’s why I made sure that It had no leaks and both fans are working properly. Temp would only be higher when going uphill...more strain on the engine. When roads become flat again it goes to back to the normal temp. I guess the very hot gas from the egr needs to go out somewhere or it will cause the engine to become hotter at certain conditions. It happened almost three years ago...never happened again.

Last edited by carlsson01; 10-08-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
In that case I'd be suspecting the water pump. I know you said you've replaced it recently. Was it and OEM Mitsubishi pump? It's possible that the aftermarket may have worse flow and it only shows up on long grades when engine has to work extra hard. When you replaced the water pump, did you replace timing belt and tensioner? Old tensioner could allow some belt slippage over the water pump pulley.

Before you go any further. Check for air trapped in the system once more. Park on the level surface (hopefully cold engine or let it cool off). Open the radiator cap (slowly), Find and unscrew two bleeder bots near the thermostat housing (I think they are 12mm size heads). Those small bolts are going VERTICALLY into the housing near radiator hoses. You should see coolant coming out slowly from the openings when you add coolant to the radiator. If you have any air trapped in the system, this you'll have big bubbles coming first, then coolant.
The pump was changed by the Mitsubishi dealer at the time the timing belt was changed so should be OEM. The fan clutch that I changed was after market not OEM. Not sure if tensioner was changed. Will check again for air using the bleeder bolts.

Last edited by Wilbert Wilson; 10-08-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Interesting point. Never thought of EGR malfunction being a contributing factor to overheating. Looked more into it and it turns out you are right - it could be a contributor under certain conditions. According to the article other points that can contribute to overheating - low engine oil level, transmission malfunction, restricted exhaust, sticking brake calipers.
Interesting, I did not get a check engine light indicating an EGR malfunction. Engine oil level is okay. Transmission shifts okay. Brakes were just checked so I don't think calipers are sticking. Could be restricted exhaust if muffler or catalytic converter is bad. Also Saturday took the Sport back to Mitsubishi dealer for them to check it out. Dealer claims they can find no problem with the cooling system. I told them it only heats up on a grade, but of course they did not test drive going up a hill.

Last edited by Wilbert Wilson; 10-08-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Try turning on your heater when it starts to overheat. If that helps then I'd suspect the radiator since all you're doing with the heater is adding a little extra radiator.