Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 montero XLS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Default 2001 montero XLS

Hello,
I'm a new member and I need some help troubleshooting some problems with my montero.
I have a 2001 montero xls with 105k miles. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, ignition coils, spark plug and wires, shocks and just recently the tires....here is a list of the problems:

1- Shortly after I had the timing belt replaced I started feeling this vibration / nosie when driving between 1800 to 2000 rpms. It comes and goes and only lasts seconds. The best way to describe it is imagining you are driving fast over the reflectors on the road...it kind of feels like a miss but it happens so fast that it is hard to tell and the scanner is not picking it up.

2- I decided to check the spark plug wires and the spark plugs to see if there is a bad wire or bad insulator and I found one of the spark plug tubes full of oil. I cleaned the plug and the connection, drained the tube and put it back in service but the vibration is still there ( I was only able to check the intake side because it was about to rain, next weekend I plan to check the other side).

3- I noticed that the coolant reservoir had alot of gunk inside and decided to clean it. I cleaned it , flush the radiator, and the motor and replaced the radiator cap because it showed signs of wear. I now have a coolant leak somewhere and the system is full of gunk again....I can't find where the leak is at.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM

i forgot to mention that I get a code that reads not enough coolant to close loop or something like that...

Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM

For your number 1, try changing the transmission fluid. I had this same problem and after I changed the trans fluid to fully synthetic the issue went away. I didn't use mitsu because I felt the trans fluid should last more than 40K under normal conditinos, and that's when mine started acting up.

For number 3, sounds like you have a blown head cover gasket which is allowing oil into the antifreeze.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by wrkrbee
For your number 1, try changing the transmission fluid. I had this same problem and after I changed the trans fluid to fully synthetic the issue went away. I didn't use mitsu because I felt the trans fluid should last more than 40K under normal conditinos, and that's when mine started acting up.

For number 3, sounds like you have a blown head cover gasket which is allowing oil into the antifreeze.
Hi Wrkrbee,

which synthetic tranny fluid did you use? I've been wanting to change mine, but have been hesitating, hoping to find a better replacement than Diamond ATF from Mitsu.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Thanks Wrkrbee,
Here is what I did....
I went to Walmart and they were out of synthetic so I bought regular ATF for import cars.
I was able to replace 6 qts. (basically because 4 qts remain inside the converter). The vibration and the noise that came with it has improved significantly as a result of the ATF change....
I plan to replace the filter again in about a week and I will use the synthetic then. The way I see it, I was able to replace 60% of the fluid the first time around and the remaining 40% will blend with the new fluid. A second fluid change should remove some of that old fluid left behind from the first change and even thought I will never be able to remove the old fluid entirely, the majority of it will be gone....
Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mitsustigi
Hi Wrkrbee,

which synthetic tranny fluid did you use? I've been wanting to change mine, but have been hesitating, hoping to find a better replacement than Diamond ATF from Mitsu.

Thanks
I use Amsoil ATF full synthetic. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
You can go up to 100k miles between service under normal driving conditions.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by osanyin
2- I decided to check the spark plug wires and the spark plugs to see if there is a bad wire or bad insulator and I found one of the spark plug tubes full of oil. I cleaned the plug and the connection, drained the tube and put it back in service but the vibration is still there ( I was only able to check the intake side because it was about to rain, next weekend I plan to check the other side).

3- I noticed that the coolant reservoir had alot of gunk inside and decided to clean it. I cleaned it , flush the radiator, and the motor and replaced the radiator cap because it showed signs of wear. I now have a coolant leak somewhere and the system is full of gunk again....I can't find where the leak is at.
2: There are seals on the valve cover for the spark plug tubes. Sounds like you need them replaced. I've heard this is common on the gen3.

3: The tell tale signs of oil in the coolant would be a rainbow colored sheen and brown globs or foam.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mtc137
I use Amsoil ATF full synthetic. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
You can go up to 100k miles between service under normal driving conditions.
Thanks MTC137. Looks like I'll be busy on Saturday morning.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Default 2001 montero XLS

First, read this for your vibration issue, I had the same problem. https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ght=shuddering Second, my advice to You my friend, do not use any ATF on your montero tranny besides the one from mitsubishi, even if is synthetic.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM

I used Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF for imports. There are posts out there that say not to use it, because they "claim" it ruins the trans but I have had it in my vehicle since 40K -- before reading those posts. I am now at 96K with no problems and smooth shifting. I also changed the transfer case oil to fully synthetic at the same time. To change the ATF, I used the oil sucker we use on the boat. It has an attachment that you place down inside the dip stick which goes all the way to the bottom of the ATF pan and literally pulls the ATF out with suction.

I know people say only to use mitsu Diamond, but if it is SOOOO good, why did it wear out by 40K? I don't do any heavy towing or hauling. Maybe a jetski once a year for about 2 miles to the boat ramp when I pull it out for service. But the jetski is 800 lbs full of oil, fuel, etc. Hence my dislike of diamond. Amsoil is a very good oil as well. At the time, I didn't want to wait on ordering it and risk damaging anything. When I do the next ATF change, I might switch to Amsoil, as that is what i use in my jetski which runs like a champ after ten years of abuse.

I suspect that those who used the Mobil 1 syn and claimed that their trans went, are blaming it -- when in fact -- there were other causes of failure. I.E., they bought the car used, didn't know how a prior owner treated the car, contaminated the ATF somehow (water, etc), simply waited to long to change the fluid, etc.

I am the only owner of my truck so I can rule out any abuse issues.

Quick Reply: 2001 montero XLS