Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Sport LS, Bank 2 Lean code HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 11:15 PM
Default 2002 Montero Sport LS, Bank 2 Lean code HELP PLEASE!

Hi I’m jake, I have a montero sport LS with the 3.0. It’s a 2002 and I keep getting the same code for. Running lean on bank 2. I have replaced all spark plugs, spark plug cables, all coil pack, new battery, PCV valve, new K&N air filter, changed oil and oil filter. I replaced bank 2 sensor 1 with bosh new O2 sensor. The code was still there so took it off and treid a brand new denso O2 sensor. I cleaned the maf sensor with cleaner also. Ram sea foam thru my gas tank. Did a full tune up and I can not get my check engine light to come off. That same code keeps coming back. And I also can’t find much info about it. If anyone can please help I would highly appreciate it. Please and thank you!

Old 02-19-2023, 10:17 AM

Lean code means not enough fuel goes into cylinders. Slightly confusing why only one back shows that.
But that is not uncommon. Try the following:
1. Check for vacuum leaks - cracks in intake manifold, disconnected or cracked vacuum lines, loose clamps
2. Pull Freeze Frame data from the code. If your scanner can't do it, go to AutoZone or O'Reilleys and borrow theirs.
3. Using the same scanner, read live data feed for fuel/air mixture on Bank 2 (both banks if possible). If mixture leans out at idle - you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If it leans out under load (high RPM), you have fuel delivery problems.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Lean code means not enough fuel goes into cylinders. Slightly confusing why only one back shows that.
But that is not uncommon. Try the following:
1. Check for vacuum leaks - cracks in intake manifold, disconnected or cracked vacuum lines, loose clamps
2. Pull Freeze Frame data from the code. If your scanner can't do it, go to AutoZone or O'Reilleys and borrow theirs.
3. Using the same scanner, read live data feed for fuel/air mixture on Bank 2 (both banks if possible). If mixture leans out at idle - you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If it leans out under load (high RPM), you have fuel delivery problems.

ok thanks for the info. I’ll try to do the following. I only have a cheap OBD scanner. I think it shows the fame freeze but not sure. I read someone that the computer on these montero had problems and needed to be updated and a lot of people never got them updated. It would show light for wrong things or something like that. The dealerships are the k my ones that can update them and are wanting 160 just to look the car over they won’t just update it for me. Unless they look the car over. Do you think that’s the problem? I’m almost positive I don’t have a vacuum leak. But I’m going to do some double checking.