Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Sport Transfer Case Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Default 2002 Montero Sport Transfer Case Problems!

HELP!!!!!I know it's a long read, but please help. I have a 2002 Montero Sport (3.5) and about 3 weeks ago, while accelerating, it started to make some weird clicking noise. At first it was only when I accelerated and if I accelerated very slow (like an 18 wheeler), it didn't make the noise. Then this past Sunday, my car started making the noise when I was driving back on cruise when I was going up hill. It has continued to get worse, and I was freaking out since I am a college student and don't have very much money. I talked to my father, who is a mechanic, and by just listening to the noise, thought it was my front deferential. So, Finally, this past Friday, I took the car to a local transmission shop that my boss recommended and said was a good place that would not take advantage of me, since I am a 21 year old small woman that doesn't know to much about cars. He called me and told me that the chain in my transfer case had some how stretched and the clicking noise I was hearing is the chain slipping on the gears that move my wheels. He told me that he was going to try to find me a new chain, but if we had to replace my transfer case, it was going to cost me $3400. After talking to my father, and researching, I have come to the conclusion that he is WAY over charging me for the transfer case, but my question is... If he does come back and tell me that he can get the chain, does anyone know what the approximate price for one would be? Or do you know if that is even possible? Please, please, please help me. I love my car and would hate to have to sell it because of lack of knowledge. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Default hi

The same exact thing is going on with mine! Have you been able to get your fixed yet? I'm worried that mine won't pass inspection here soon!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 AM
Default Solved

I am not sure what is exactly causing this issue but I ran into this problem last month, all I did was find a used transfer case which the noise you are hearing is coming from inside your transfer case. I got 1 of those used with 133k miles on it from ebay, you can find them from other websites too . Mine was $200 plus shipping but my guy put it in and it runs fine, no more clicking or grinding sounds.....

Boy let me tell you how many problems I have had with this montero sport 4wd......... I HONESTLY CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I GET RID OF THIS DAMN VEHICLE IT HAS COSTED ME SO MUCH DAMN FRUSTRATION AND MONEY I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MITSUBISHI AGAIN