Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Sport Automatic Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Question 2002 Sport Automatic Antenna

The factory retractable antenna broke off. In looking on Ebay I find replacement antennas but they say they only fit 97 to 01 Models...I cannot find any that show they fit 2002. What is the difference? And what have others done to replace the unit? I want to stick with the retractable if possible.
Thanks
Greg
Redding, Ca

Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM

If you're lucky the the nylon toothed operating strip did not break off inside the motor drive unit. If the metal mast broke then next time you turned on the radio the nylon strip should have come all the way out like a long piece of spagetti.

If so, my advice is to buy the OEM replacement mast and it can be inserted into the existing antenna without removal of the drive unit. Try MitsubishiParts.com | "Mitsubishi Parts" at Less Than Dealer Wholesale for good pricing. They are not cheap but worth it for the ease of replacement, IMO.

If the nylon strap broke and there is still a piece inside of the motor drive then you may be able to fish it out but might need to remove the motor and pull off the drive cover.

Either way, once it's cleared out you just need to turn the radio on, wait for the motor to stop running and then have someone turn it off while you are threading the nylon gear strip down into the antenna hole. Twist it around until the gear catches the teeth and guide the mast into the hole.

Ron