Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2005 Montero rear axle parts problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Question 2005 Montero rear axle parts problem

Hello,
my friend has a 2005 Pajero (Montero) and he has hit a snag when doing some repairs on his car. Problem is that a "snap-ring" (i hope this is the correct description, it is a split ring with a locking function on the axle, inside the diff) on one of the rear axles has disappeared and hence the axle slides out of the rear diff and causes an oil leak.

Anyway, the local Mitsubishi dealer claims the only solution is buying a complete left axle that includes the snap ring and oil seal etc. This costs a lot and seems unnecessary as opposed to just buying the snap ring? It surely must be possible to buy this snap ring separately? Is this just a way for the dealer to make money or is this reality in the Pajero/Montero world?

Any input welcome Also, a part number of this ring would be greatly appreciated if possible.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM

These snap rings, do not just disappear, there is no magic involved. Regardless of how it disappeared, I cannot believe that MITSU does not sell just this snap ring. Here is what I would do, remove the one on the other axle, take measurements, pictures and search the web for it. Or if you have a industrial hardware suppy store near you , take it there and see if they can match it up.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Try this site:

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

They carry OEM parts. However, from my experience, the site uses the same parts diagrams as the FSM and the dealership.

Good Luck.