Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2017 Montero Sport - Oilchange every 5000KM - are you kidding me ?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Default 2017 Montero Sport - Oilchange every 5000KM - are you kidding me ?

Hello Forum, Im a new member as I bought my new Montoro Sport GLS (Diesel) last December.
I live here in the Philippines - so the first years I sure will bring him to the Mitsubishi dealer for maintanace and repair - but I really ask if thats all necessary !

Just yesterday I had the 1000KM maintenance done - thats only oil change - but now I see on the maintenance checklist that the car should get checked every 5000KM (Light, Regular, Heavy in turns).
And they really tell to "Replace oild filter and engine oil (mineral - every 5000KM; synthetic - every 10.000KM)" - That's 23$ for the filter and 95$ for oil every 5000KM

Does Mitsubishi get money from Oil companies ?
Did I buy a car thats really so bad that it needs oil every 5000KM ?

I guess I bought a car that comes with a "automatic quarterly renewal fee" - LOL

Old 03-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Hi Goetz...I was in the Philippines a few years ago....driving conditions there are considered extreme. Stop and go,dust and long idling hours would definitely be harsh for any engine. So i think 5k kms for an oil change would do a diesel engine good. ��
Besides,you have to stick with the dealer’s recommended maintenance if you want to keep the warranty. When it expires then you can take it to you trusted mechanic.
Where in the Philippines do you live? I know a few expats there...

Old 03-18-2018, 07:09 PM

How much oil are you putting into it? $95 seems pretty high for just oil...
Diesel engines need more frequent oil changes due to the soot that is formed from burning diesel fuel. The oil gets contaminated faster than that of the gasoline engines. These soot particles are super fine and do not get filtered out by the engine oil filter. This is a limitation of needing to have high enough oil flow vs, filtering efficiency. There are options for installing a bypass filtration system that removes the very fine soot particles. it adds a second (very fine filter) that works in parallel with the main filter. This allows less frequent oil changes when running synthetic oil because the soot is getting removed out of the oil. You still need to replace the oil filters at required intervals, but you can leave oil for longer and just add what is lost during the service.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:54 PM

OIl filter is 1205php - thats $23
Then they used 8 Liter synthetic oil at 600php each - making this 4800php or roughly $96

What makes me wonder is that my display now shows the next maintance should be done in 19.200KM (at 20.0000) - so I wonder why the "official" service plan tells me to come in every 5000 and get the oil plus filter changed ...

And besides that ... Im 52 and I remember that 30 years ago cars could go easily with oil for 25000KM or more without problems.
So is it just me thinking thats a new strategy from the oil industry to earn more money ?

Last edited by Goetz Kohlberg; 03-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM

25000 kms before an oil change?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM

Yes - maybe you millennials don't know about the time BEFORE the year 2000 ... But there was a time where cars run loooong before an oil change ...

Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM

When I started driving...we had 3k kms oil changes...then the 5k kms oil changes. Now there are 10k kms or more oil changes. All because of modern engines and modern oil.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM

25000 km send like awfully long time between oil changes. That is possible now with the best modern synthetic oils, bot not on the good old days. From what I've seen in the old manuals (and experience with some old cars) is that you changed oil every 3k miles (5k km) and then needed an engine rebuild after 50k miles.

Anyhow, that is off topic. Question - where did you get the information/reconnection for 5000km oil change? Was that from the dealer's service department? If that is the case, you can SAFELY ignore it and go by what the little book in your glove compartment recommends. Nearly every single service department oversells unnecessary service at much more frequent intervals than is recommended by the manufacturer. If you think about it, this is the only way they can make money of you after you drive off with your new car. They are pretty shameless about that too... Once a dealer tried to sell me a timing belt job on a vehicle with about 40k miles. They said if I don't do it now, it will void the warranty. I had to show then the book from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the timing belt needed to be changed at 60k miles to maintain warranty status. Their answer - well... it's better to do it more often. Look up proper info on service intervals and go by that.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 PM

Its in the service plan: Service Plus - Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation
If you look it up they want you in for a maintanace every 5000KM and Oil is done with every maintanace - so every 5000KM.

What makes me wonder ist - after I did the 1000KM 1st maintanace my car display now shows the maintanace sign as "19.000KM (10 month)" - I guess that is what is programed into the car from Mitsubishi itself.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Perhaps carlsson01 is right - they are counting on Philippines being a harsh driving environment. It is probably a combination of that, plus the vehicle being a diesel (harsher on engine oil). If you look at the oil service recommendations, they do say if you use synthetic oil you can go for 10,000 km between services. Perhaps that is a good option in your case. There is nothing really there that needs to be dealer serviced at every 5,000 km, so going to 10k services should save you some time and money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Montero Sport - Oilchange every 5000KM - are you kidding me ?