Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2nd Montero

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Default 2nd Montero

So, I recently sold my daily driver (03 Mustang Mach 1) and found another Montero SR locally, and it was a deal I couldn't pass up so I got it.

But it has some issues. The one I am most concerned about is the idle, in park or neutral, it shoots up to about 2k, and when warmed out it get to about 2,200 RPM. I've found some vacuum leaks and fixed it, but the one I can't get to at the moment is the plenum leak,seems like all the bolts on the left side are all loose and it won't bite onto the threads on the lower. I'd probably have time to inspect it mid week.

The other problem is the massive oil leak that seem to be coming from either the front crank seal or the upper pan to block gasket, has anyone done this and have any pointers?

The ABS light is on too, and not quite sure how to pull codes on these OBD1 Mitsu.

Lastly, I lost the dash lights the other night while driving from work. I had checked to see a fuse that says "gauges" and it looks good, is there anything else I should be looking into?

Thanks for any help in advance

Here she is:
Name:  20140313_221119_zpsa92a5b14.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  70.0 KB
Name:  20140313_221035_zps9b6de080.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by At1Maverick; 03-17-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Looks alot like my 95' LS.

The other problem is the massive oil leak that seem to be coming from either the front crank seal or the upper pan to block gasket, has anyone done this
-

I just replaced everything from the Front Seal up basically,and a few things twice...learning experience.To pinpoint mine I cleaned the areas well that were suspect, ran the engine for a bit,while watching to see where the leaks were coming from.

The ABS light is on too, and not quite sure how to pull codes on these OBD1 Mitsu.
-

On mine(1995 LS 3.0 24 Valve), which is OBD1, but has the OBD2 connector, I ground pin 1 while the key is off, then switched the key to On (I did not have to start it) and the CEL flashes the code(s). Long flash for 10's, and quick flash for single digits, then roughly 3 seconds between codes if multiple. I attached a page from ALLDATA showing which to ground. No special tool is needed.

Lastly, I lost the dash lights the other night while driving from work. I had checked to see a fuse that says "gauges" and it looks good, is there anything else I should be looking into?
-

I would check ALL fuses, I have found some components are on other circuits which may be labeled something entirely different. I had to Scour the Fusebox in the engine compartment, and the one inside, drivers side to find two that were blown, and not labeled specifically.

I would highly recommend picking up a Chilton Manual, and/or looking into ALLDATA DIY online. They have been great resources ( and here also, tons of Hands on DIY knowledge)

-Gary

Attached Thumbnails 2nd Montero-obd1-code-hybrid.gif  

Last edited by Garifini; 05-23-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: too many -Gary's in signature
Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Default 95 Montero LS Parts Truck

Sorry about your troubles.
But, I have a 95 LS parts truck...if you need.
Thanks,
Ernie
Lafayette, LA

Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 AM

Edan,

Would this Parts truck have an engine ignition wire harness? and if so what type of condition and cost? Been on the hunt for a replacement for the sensors etc..on and around the Intake Plenum.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Hi At1, This is the problem I had with my high idle at cold startup. You may want to check this problem out for yourself bud. I will try to post a pic here for ya. Well I am able to download them but there gone now. It seems no one can tell me how to do such a noncomplicated thing. LMAO. I can send them by email where I can "DROP N DRAG" The new way of sending pic's I guess. But anyhow check with the motor running look for leaks around the exhaust system by the oxy sensors. Note the Rivets or bolts. Note if there are carbon deposits leaking from the seals.. ETC.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 PM

reamed bolt holes on the intake plenum?
Sounds like a fairly major vacuum leak.
Spray crc around the gasket while its running, if the revs pick up, its stuffed.
Also, you will be running lean (hot) so be nice to your pistons and take it easy.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:08 AM

well, a bit of an update. I've managed to repair the lower plenum threads, no problem there. I fixed a few oil leaks as well, the major one being the rear cam seal on the driver side. it was pouring out oil pretty bad that at one point I drove 15 miles and I was lower a quart and a half.

Some of the other problems have been addressed as well, like the lights in the dash (blown fuse), it shares a fuse with the rear tail lights.

The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the high idle. I've managed to fix all the vacuum leaks that I've seen so far. Right now, the only thing that I haven't tried per Alldata's suggestion is the throttle body. I've tried a new IAC motor and adjusting idle speed too, but nothing worked so far

Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Garifini,
Not sure if you got my message re the wiring harness. Did you need the whole wiring harness? Just let me know.
Ernie (Edan)
Lafayette, LA
337-319-5120

Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 AM

I sure did, and will shoot you a message here shortly, been a crazy weekend for me here.