Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

3.0L 24v Timing Belt @ 129k miles, some ??? for pros

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Default 3.0L 24v Timing Belt @ 129k miles, some ??? for pros

I consider myself an above average home mechanic (built race Chevy's in teens-20's) with a good selection of tools (full roll cart & cabinet of Mac & Craftsman tools + air impact tools), so I ask those who have been there, done that to help me decide if I should do my own Timing Belt replacement (+ other parts in that area) or should I just pony up the dough, save myself some headaches and pay a mechanic to do it??? (No one will care more about doing the job right than me, the owner)

The dealer, for the Timing Belt replacement alone, wants $431.10 + any other parts I want replaced (water pump, main seal, hoses, thermostat, etc...) and my local mechanic wants $750 to do everything. The parts to do everything through mitsubishiparts OEM catalog come to about $300.

The choice: $750 or so or DIY for $300 parts and my sweat, blood and tears (hopefully no tears)?

My main concern is the Dampner Bolt as it requires a special tool which can be made from hardware for about $20 or possibly rented. I have read that it can be removed by an IMPACT WRENCH but I am not sure. It looks like it could without damage, but how would I re-torque it during install, as an impact wrench to reinstall is very IMPRECISE and could SHEAR [&o] the bolt. Everything else looks like standard disassembly and assembly... probably a whole day for me. [&:]

So, what do you all think? I sure would like to save that money the mechanic wants but I don't want to get into a jam either where I am over my head... Any thoughts or advice?

Robert

Old 07-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Default RE: 3.0L 24v Timing Belt @ 129k miles, some ??? for pros

Well I just finished doing some sleuth work [8D] on the history of my Montero... found the dealer where vehicle was purchased as a fleet purchase and gave them a call to see what their repair history on my VIN is. Good news!

I found out the timing belt, as well as the full 60k service, was done at 74k miles and the crank bolt recall was done at 114k. So, adding another 60k to the 74k when the belt was done, it gets me to 134k. I now have 129k on it.

So, it looks like a have a month or two to prepare for this major maintenance event. Whew!!!! [&:]

I'm leaning towards doing it myself still, so please, anyone else who has been through it, please share your experience and lessons learned.

Rmpl

Old 07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Default RE: 3.0L 24v Timing Belt @ 129k miles, some ??? for pros

If I had your car I would wait another 25-30k, but that is just me. However, if I was about to do the second timing belt change I would do the following;

Timing belt
Belt tensioner
Tensioner pulley
water pump(w/O-ring)
Top and bottom radiator hoses
alternator/AC belts
Thermostat
Radiator cap
Coolant (Zerex G05/ or Prestone "All Makes Long Life Coolant") with distilled water.

If I were doing the spark plugs at the same time;
NGk Double Platinum $11-13 ea.(OEM)
NGK wires
Intake plenum gasket

Clean the IAC/ISC valve

Don't forget about the 6" C-clamp to compress the tensioner.

I do not think OEM is worth it for any of these parts. Gates and Goodyear make great belts.