Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

91 Montero New Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Default 91 Montero New Engine Trouble

Hi all. I wish I was joining with happier reasons, but here I am!
So, I purchased a 91 auto Montero and pulled the motor, stripped it down and had it machined at a really great shop and reassembled it myself and installed along with new everything else. Fired up great, dealing with hi idle issues, so I've been going through all the tps adjustments, IAC checks, sensors, mfi relay test, vac leaks, etc, etc... It's gotten much better, maybe 200 rpm too high. Then today happened.
I had adjusted the timing and tps a little and it didn't run as well...a little sputter and hesitation. I came back home after about 10 miles of driving and shut it off and readjusted the stuff back to how I had it. When I went to start it...nothing. I mean, click.. naturally, I thought I did something electronic while I was in there, but I decided to just make sure the engine would spin and put a bar on the crank nut.. It was frozen solid. SH*T!! So, before I yank the whole lump, what the hell could've caused the engine to seize right after running without any problems? The temp had never gone up out of the lower zone at all, and I've put 240 miles on it since I built the motor.. I'm trying not to completely fall apart, but I figured I'd ask for some advice...
Thanks all.
-Stephen

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 PM

Eh, nevermind...figured it out. As I was pulling the starter and whatnot off, to prep for engine removal, I heard a little bolt sound drop...I reached in the bottom of the bellhousing and found one of the small bolts that hold the rear main seal cover on. It fell down and wedged in the flex plate teeth and kept the motor from spinning...damn. I must've missed torquing it down and it worked loose. That also explains the leak from the back of the motor. I'm very lucky it didn't jam whilst driving..could've been really bad. Oh well. I'll just pop the motor out and fix it...having done this stupid thing so many times, I can remove and replace the engine in a day in my driveway! Haha! geeesh.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 AM

That is a great news. As far as pulling engine in and out in a day - another proof of "Practice makes it good"