Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Default 95 Montero

I picked up a 1995 LS as an impulse buy. The original owner was asking $2700, and he took $2000 for it.

It's got a few issues, but hopefully nothing major.

I'm here to ask about the few issues.

The main one is about cold starts. When I first crank it on a cold morning or after it has sat for a day, I've noticed that the engine starts off a little rough, the transmission doesn't shift out of 1st or 2nd gear until about 2700 RPM, and the engine feels like it is throttled back. After about 1/2 mile down the road, everything is operating fine.

Are there codes I need to check? Is this OBD2 or do I have to count the blinks somehow? It may be covered in the Service Manual that I downloaded (montero_fsm_1992-1995_enginechassisbody.pdf), but I have not found that section yet.

Minor issues:
  • The door lock switches on the driver's side and the passenger's side do not lock the doors. I doubt both switches have gone out, but it's possible. More than likely is that something is messed up elsewhere. Is this something common that someone knows about and can point me in a good direction?
  • The window on the passenger's side will not roll down, again with either switch. Same as the door locks, I'm looking to see if it is something common that someone can say, "Here's the link you want" before I waste too much time searching.
  • The back door on the driver's side will not open from the outside. I have to reach around from the front and pull the release lever. Is this just a matter of replacing the outside door handles?
  • Every door has some tears and holes in the upholstery. The plastic is dryrotted and jagged, so it is a little painful when resting the underside of the arm on them. Has anyone come up with a fix?