Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

power door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Default power door lock issue

Well,since ive not sold the 96GT,Im gonna pursue the OEM door lock problem,Ive got a new 3 button remote,and two interior computers,theyre all matched,( and correct for my car according to the local dealer)but earlier on when trying to get them to work they wouldnt,I put in an aftermarket system,and that works fine about 75% of the time.The other 25% of the time the locks will "ratchet" between lock/unlock when pushing the unlock button.This also will do it when using the key in the drivers side door.
A frined at work advised me that when he rode in it about two years ago with the previous owner they went to lunch and the locks just started ratcheting when they were driving down the road.
Im suspecting theres a somewhat complex switch in the drivers door that has something to do with both issues( OEM system not working,and ratcheting)
has anyone had this happen ,and if so what was the fix? I plan on attacking this over the weekend...any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Default RE: power door lock issue

what do u mean "racheting"?
mine relock sometimes when it's really really cold out. is that what u mean?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Guess that was a weird term, It sometimes will lock/unlock rapidly 5 or 6 times,maybe more...

Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 AM

In addition to the previous reply,It also locks automatically when you close the door.I think this is normal,but not sure.Im almost certain that the keyless remote and interior computer are not the problem.
My thinking here is since the drivers door is the one most used,there is a problem in the door harness,switch,or the bundle of wires that are between the car frame,and door.
Perhaps a bad ground,dirty switch contacts,or something outta whack.Ive never pulled the door panel on this car,and dont quite know what to expect...again, any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:24 PM

update....after pulling most of the interior out to track this issue down,Ive found one thing that might be causing some of my problems,On the passengers side door lock cylinder,there is a switch mounted to the back of the lock assy.The cable coming out of it has three wires, there is a connector hooked up with a plastic clip attaching it to the door...when I unplugged it to inspect there was alot of green corrosion in the connector,and one pin pretty much fell out during the cleaning process...Im going to replace the connector sometime the first part of the week,In "ringing out" the line back to the lock cylinder,it appears to ohm out correctly,common to one on lock,and common to the other on unlock...the ratcheting seems to be MUCH more pronounced when using the key to unlock from the passengers side...anyone had this problem?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 AM

yeah i have the same problom. i think someone tryed to breakinto my car one day and now whenever i unlock the door with the key it goes mental 95% of the time which is crap cuz the remote on the key doesn't work now cuz it went for a swim. let me no if u find the prob