Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 montero PCV location

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Default 95 montero PCV location

I have looked all over for the PCV valve on a 1995 montero 3.5 L engine. Can someone please put me out of my misery by telling me where i might find it? Also missing is the fuel filter location.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 montero PCV location

I am not sure on montys, but check around the valve cover area.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:58 AM

should be on the right one lookin at it from the front

Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM

The only thing i found is aft of the intake plenum threaded into the aluminum cover?? The dealer service center said it is under the intake somewhere.I guess i will leave it alone until i get a firm answer from someone who has replaced one. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:42 PM

its between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders in the valve cover on the drivers side pointing twards the center of the engine in the top on the valve cover

Old 11-24-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks, I guess that means i will need to take of the intake plenum.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Default 1991 Montero 3.0L and Others PCV Valve Replacement

YOU NEED THIS WRENCH IT CAN BE PURCHASED ON LINE AT EBAY OR AMAZON OR YOU CAN BUY THE SET AT ADVACNED AUTO:
GearWrench® X-Beam XL Combination Ratcheting Wrench - 9/16' NEW

On the 1991 Montero 3.0L V6 the PCV Valve is under the Plenum. You do not have to take the Plenum off and cause yourself all kinds of problems to reach the PCV Valve. If you have a Montero where the PCV valve is under the Plenum it is very difficult to remove without taking off the Plenum but after much frustration and many tool purchases I have figured it out.

Put a little bit of WD-40 or some kind of lubricant on both sides of the PCV hose at the crack where is goes into the nipple. Try and get it to run in between the hose and the nipple on both sides. WD-40 worked for me. 24 hours later I started on the intake side of the PCV hose by the Distrubtor and took a pair of pliers to break the hold the hose had on the nipple. . You dont need to put a lot of pressure on it just twist to break it free and then finish buy slowly twisting with your hand til it comes off. Then take needle nose or your hand and try to twist hose under the plenum to break it loose. Once you break it loose you can then pull it off with the end you already removed from the intake side.

Bascially take off the PCV hose its not too hard.

Once you have done this you will be able to fit this wrench around the PCV valve under the Plenum and ratchet it off slowly. You must get this exact wrench and it must be the long one that is ratchet on one side and twisted and off set on the other side that is open. The wrench is flat on one side which allows the ratcheting action in small spaces. It looks kind of twisted and the ractchet end is on one side and a regular open wrench on the other side but its off set.

Once you get it off by ratcheting it slowly you take the new PCV valve and a small piece of tubing which will be put on the nipple and help you align the new PCV back up to get it started with your hand. Do use a wrench yet you may strip the threads on the valve cover if you dont align it right kind of like a spark plug. Its a tight squeez but you can do it. If you have trouble see the hole have someone help you with a flashlight.

I had someone help me and I took off the distributor cap and rotor so I could see better. If you take off the distrubutor only unhook coil wire and one other wire and then just flip it up and hold it somewhere with wire tie. This will prevent mix up of the spark plug wires. DO NOT TAKE OFF MORE THAN ONE WIRE TO FLIP IT UP. It can be hard to get the wires back correct unless you mark both ends perfect. Some caps have the firing order on them but you must mark the wires if you take them off but ITS NOT NECESSARY THOUGH.

Once you get the PCV valve rethreaded by hand with the small piece of hose to assist then you can tighten it back on same as when you took it off. You can you the PCV hose to help assist in getting the threads started but I wouldnt recommend this since it will make it loose when you put it back on by twisting it too much. But if you replacing the old hose then its okay to use the old hose to line up the new PCV valve.

I installed a new piece of hose when I changed my pcv but as long as the old hose is still serviceable its okay to put it back on.

Hope this helps. It only takes 15 minutes to do this after the first time. I have done it twice. Saves a lot of headaches.

Last edited by baileysmgt; 03-07-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

here check this out...... and you dont need no stinking wrench......Changing the Lower Intake Plenum on a 1995 Montero SR with 3.5L DOHC