Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 Montero questions before buy....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Default 95 Montero questions before buy....

We are looking at a 1995 Montero SE. WIth the 3.5. The owner has replaced the motor with a used or rebuilt one. Not sure which. He says that he didnt have the computer cleared so this is why there are a bunch of lights still on on the dash. AT lite, ABS, check engine, mait, the compass didnt seem to work. etc.... Does this seem like a reasonable answer? It seems to run fine. He says the lights wernt on before the engine swap. He said the dealer didnt clear it because it needed a fuel pump and he didnt have them put in a new one. He did it himself. When you get on the gas hard then stop theres a slight smell. if you pop the hood theres slight smoke coming from somewhere. both sides. Doesnt seem like oil. not sure of smell exactly. he said he put engine cleaner on it and it was burning off. Lastly, the hitch has a ring on it. How hard is it to put a ball on it to tow a trailer??

Thank You so much for all your help...

Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Default RE: 95 Montero questions before buy....

What is the asking price for that? It sounds like a bunch of problems, but I don't haveany knowledge about replacing an engine.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 PM

unless they're giving it away I wouldn't even consider it.
SR's aren't THAT hard to find.

The seller "allegedly" went to the trouble to replace the engine but hasn't taken care of theminor computer issues before puting it up for sale? Something doesn't add up.

FWIW - There are a couple different bolt on hitches I've seen for those years.
Either a bar that just accepts a ball, or a slide in adapter. I believestock tow point isn't designed for large loads, but I towed a 19' boat for 3 summers and never had any issues.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM

hello! this guy is trying to sell you a HUGE headache!! not only walk away, dont look back! that 95 SR isnt all that. the 3.5 litre engine is better used for a boat anchor. in case any of you didnt know the 94,95,96 montero SR came with a CHRYSLER 3.5 litre engine. i have replaced short blocks in those clunkers when they were in warranty, and have replaced whole motors now that they are out of warranty. 9 times outta 10 one ofthe piston pins break and then you gotta piston comming outta the side of the block. try to find one of those motors used. they are non existant. cause they all go bad! i put one in about a year ago and my parts dept found one in illinios somewhere. the engine cost us 5000.00 bucks. cause it was the only one in the country. my point is, if that is a so called new engine and its having problems now, just wait it will get worse. find a LS with the 3.0 mitsu engine. change the oil, t-belt and it will run forever!! greg....

Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM

wow - I've read a LOT of montero stuff over the past few years and I've NEVER heard such a negative opinion of the 3.5 DOHC. The hard core off-road crowd at 4x4wire.com speaks very highly of them. The "trail leaders" are almost always 3.5 dohc Gen II'sloaded up with a winch, 33's, lift, etc., and often end up bailing many lesser trucks out of trouble.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 PM

those guys pull out those motors and COMPLETELY mod them. crank, pistons, heads, ect.. mabey after all that is done they might be ok, but from the factory its always better used as a boat anchor!! greg....

Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 AM

the 3.5 litre engine is better used for a boat anchor. in case any of you didnt know the 94,95,96 montero SR came with a CHRYSLER 3.5 litre engine......find a LS with the 3.0 mitsu engine. change the oil, t-belt and it will run forever!!
I think you got your facts mixed up. The 6G74 3.5l engine is basically a bored and stroked version of the 6G72 3.0L engine both designed and manufactured by Mitsubishi (as are all 6G** engines).

JJ