Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 Montero tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Default Fuel rails!

Check em out!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Mark......Funny.....Ok, you meant those covers that fit on top the engine.....as you say, beautification covers.

Boy, you have a super clean engine....that white looks good, and a great color to pick up all the other wires and stuff going on.

One of those wires you zoomed in on is the Tach sending wire? Looks more like temp sending units, or fuel sniffers.......or who knows, a Flux Capactor? ha ha

I love the maintenance notes all over the engine....I have started doing the same......takes less time than pulling out maintenance records/log book and searching.

Nice welds on that shiny radiator.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Default Lol! Where to start?

Yes, those are temp sensors, the pic was showing those hot red fuel rails!

The radiator is an OSC from Rock Auto, I expected alum core and plastic tanks for $150, but this is what came! Hard to believe!

The white choice is for two reasons: first, so that any leaks show up easily. Second, to reflect more light in the engine bay for ease of work. At some point I'm going to pull everything out and paint the whole bay white. I really like it a lot!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 AM

OK.....temp sensors, and those "hot red fuel rails". I think you got something there.....all in white, making stuff easier to see, and leaks show up in a heart-beat. Tell your mechanic he better wear white gloves and not leave a spec of dirt under the hood. So often all the wires, tubes, hoses, lines, and stuff just all blend in together in that camoflauge of greasey darkness......so your idea of doing it in white is a great one.

By the way, any idea where the tach sending unit is? Is it the crank sensor, or someplace else?

Thats a superb radiator for $150....maybe they goofed and sent you the wrong one, and Richard Petty or Jay Leno is fuming mad when they got your old beater Mitsie radiator for one of their hot rods.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Default Radiator

Well, I am the mechanic and i cant let a pair of gloves come between my hands and that motor... I'll just have to wash often and keep a bottle of 409 handy, lol!!

Funny imagining the look on Leno's face getting a stock radiator, lol!

Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Default Tach signal

I'm certain it comes out of the ECU

Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM

ECU feeds the tach. OK, so there should be a hot wire coming from the ECU going to the tach. How do you test it for proper voltage? I guess you have to have the engine running to test?

Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 PM
Default Tach test

Just swap in a spare, I see you have a couple...

Don't make it more complicated than it is. I was an aircraft structure and hydraulics mechanic for 12 years, and we always, always, started with the simple stuff first. Simple stuff is cheaper, it's faster to repair, it makes you look like the guru... embrace simplicity!!!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 AM

Yep.....I have the speedo/tach cluster, and can try the "plug n play" approach. But for those reading this and who want to try to fix their tach, I was trying to cover all the angles. Hey......since you are the hydraulics engineer/mechanic, I think you need to hone up your skills by tackling all those rusty hydraulic lines on the belly of my Monty.....that will keep you at the top of your game. Ha haaaa

Quick Reply: 95 Montero tach not working