Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 Montero w/ Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Default 95 Montero w/ Electrical Problem

Hi All
I have a 95 montero LS 3.0 V6 24V with a elec problem.
I purchased a New Battery because I thought it was the problem, this only delayed the problem for 2-3 months,
it has now returned.

Here is the problem.

- When you insert the key there is no dashboard light, no dome light ect.
If I get a 'Jump Start' then it runs fine, have all electrical working (lights, radio, blower, wiper etc).
However while at idle, if you press the brake (brake light) the lights dim, and if you flash the high beam it shuts off.

I remove the +ve lead from the battery while the car is running and got 14.2 V, checked the battery and got 12.9V.
The volt meter in the car indicates that the altenator is working (approx 14 V).
Cleaned and tightened the terminals/contacts etc.
When you suddenly electrically 'load' the system the car shuts off.
Could this be a alternator trouble?.
The alternator is able to run all the electrical systems once you bring them on slowly (going from low to hi beam etc).

Any suggestions ??
P.S. When its cutting out, a relay clatter is heard from the passenger side of the dash.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Default RE: 95 Montero w/ Electrical Problem

Sounds like a regulator problem. (which I believe is in the alternator for these trucks). When you are "jumping" the car the regulator from the other car will keep the voltage up. Still it sounds strange.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Yup, sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator going bad. Since you recently replaced your battery I'm leaning towards the alternator.

Also, from what I recall, you shouldn't disconnect/reconnect the battery leads while the car's running. Something about possibly frying your ECU, alternator/voltage regulator, etc.

You can check the charge voltage by checking the battery voltage while running. It will reflect the alternator voltage.

Also make sure, some other electrical device isn't draining your battery. Any non-factory additions are suspect especially if they've been hard wired into the electrical system (versus being powered by a 12v cigarette adapter).

Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM

Thanks All,
I went back to Walmart where I bought my Battery and they did a diagnosis on the battery and electrical system and it came back
trouble to charging system.
I was a bit Pig Headed because the Alternator Voltage was spot on.
But never thought it was the regulator in the alternator since it runs everything while the engine is running.
-
Will try and get a remanufactored alternator and see what happens.

Again - thank All for your timely response.
[hr]
P.S.
I like this truck - bought it with 100,000 and now it it 170,000 Miles.
Still runs smooth - Smokes though but dont drink much Oil).

Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 AM

You should do a few voltage drops tests through the battery cables (both negative and positive) paying close attention to the wires going to the alternator.

Joel, CA

Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Hedge
Smokes though but dont drink much Oil).
Yup, my odometer is at 197k but I've easily got well over 200K on my '90. My speedo stopped working many years ago and I've never found a need to get it working since I use the GPS to tell me my speed and it's way more accurate with my 33" tires.

The smoking is probably due to worn valve guide seals. In the 3.0L SOHC V6's they're replaceable without removing the heads by using the LP Air trick or the rope trick to prevent the valves from dropping when you access the seals. Saves a bunch of $$$ in repair time unless you do them yourself which then just makes the process easier.

HTH.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Winshawn, off roader and Joel_CA,
Thanks all.
I had installed a Keyless entry, Remote Start System about a year ago. I decided to disconnect the system and see if anything changed.
For the last 3 days its running perfectly, will keep my fingers crossed.

- Off Roader, can you tell me where on the forum to find instruction for
LP Air trick or the rope trick
- I have a new inspection due in Feb., but about 2 years ago they failed me for Visual (Smoking from tail pipe) and I had to buy platinum plugs, air filter, no smoke kit and send my wife to have it pass.
( She is a Charmer).

Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 AM

Not sure if you'll find it on this forum but I found it on four x four wire dot com's mitsu forums (the numbers are the actual numbers, not spelled out, the spaces aren't there, and the dot is also not spelled out on the actual URL).

Note: I've never done this proceedure, nor have I done the valve guide seals myself. I've only heard of this and asked what they meant just like you're doing now...

In essence you put rope or LP air into the cylinder to prevent the valve from falling in while you remove its retaining clip and then the valve guide seal. Of course you'll need to remove all the other stuff in the way of accessing the seal.

HTH.