Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

98 Montero Sport Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Default 98 Montero Sport Lift

Hi guys I'm new on here. Just bought a 1998 Montero Sport 4x4 and was looking at lifts and came across the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift. The question I have is should I buy the medium or heavy duty lift and should I get the medium duty with torsion bars or heavy duty with torsion bars? There are 4 options there. This won't be a heavily used off road vehicle just to get around at my hunting lease which is usually under a foot or less of water. Thanks guys!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM

Although my Montero does not have the same suspension as your Sport, I do have an OME set up. I'm running the HD coils, shocks, and struts (IFS/IRS).
We do a fair amount of backcountry driving as well as overlanding, so I wanted a suspension to support a full compliment of gear and supplies with no sag in the back end. The HD coils are a constant load spring (very stiff if/when it's unladen). Whereas, the Med. duty is a variable rate spring (the ride, when it's unladen, will be nice). BTW, I blew out a rear Med. Shock on a high speed desert run one spring, and ordered the HD soon after. OME replaced the shock, no questions asked. I'd suggest calling the ARB rep., and talking to them about what you'll be doing with your rig. They are very helpful.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 AM

I will call them up. Thanks Mr. Z. I can't believe you blew out a coil but then again I have no experience with desert runs.

On a side note, do you have any information on pros and cons of adjusting my stock torsion bars to achieve lift? The front of my truck sags real bad compared to the back and I wanted to level it out.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm also not limited to an OME lift. Just haven't seen much else out there. If anyone can direct me another direction please let me know.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=MiamiE;286768 Thanks Mr. Z. I can't believe you blew out a coil but then again I have no experience with desert runs.[/QUOTE]

I didn't loose a coil, I stated a rear, med. duty shock blew out. I fitted the rear with a med. duty set up. Had the rig loaded for a ten day back country run and lost the shock on the last day.
Good Luck with your search.