Off Road You go muddin' lately? Share your story... Is that ride of yours a rock climber? Show us in here.

Installing a 1 1/2 inch body lift on a Monty Sport.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Default Installing a 1 1/2 inch body lift on a Monty Sport.

I was asked on monterosportonline.com to post the steps so I thought I would post them here too. The body mount kit I used was a 3 inch off a Toyota pickup. I cut the pucks in half and used them that way.

1. You unbolt all 10 bolts from the body.
2. Lock up all the brakes, so the truck won't roll.
3. Remove any running boards that are attached; they are bolted to the body rails just under the roll pans.
4. Using a 4X4 or 6X6 piece of wood about 2 feet long place it between your floor jack and body rail. (Run it length wise along the metal piece that is about 1 inch wide that runs along the bottom of the side roll pans.)
5. Jack up one side at a time and place spacers between frame and body mounts and drop in new bolts. (You will need to go to a hard ware store and get longer bolts.)
6. Lower body back onto the frame.
7. Repeat these steps for the second side.
8. Bolt body back to the frame.
9. Check all lines, connections and linkage to make sure everything is still attached.
10. Remove 3 inch strip from the bottom of the fan shroud. (It's designed to detach.)

[glow=red,2,300]NOTE: I DO NOT recommend doing anything over 1 1/2 inche on this truck, unless you replace linkages, connections, and lines. [/glow]

Also, I recommend getting new rims with a shallower backspacing to push the tires out farther to lower your center of gravity.

I got some pictures taken of the body lift.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Default RE: Installing a 1 1/2 inch body lift on a Monty Sport.

Nice rig. I like that the rear bumper doesn't show the typical gap when a body lift is installed due to the attachment to the panel. Are you going to fill the gap on the front bumper?
What are your plans for wheels/tires...any larger or did you just want more room to articulate? I had the Wrangler MTR's on my Wrangler and loved them...pulled through most anything that wasn't up to my door sills.