Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

98 montero sport trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 PM
Default 98 montero sport trans problem

Hello, any help is greatly appreciated. My truck has recently developed a hard jerk when cold in the morning and shifting into reverse/drive from park. After about two minutes of warmup the problem goes away. Also what transmission do I have? When picking up a trans filter from autozone for the specified model it is not the right one. It is the 3.0L RWD model. Also cold in the morning is around low 40's, not like 0 degrees.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:35 PM

I just signed up for this forum and I noticed it's been over two months since this post but you will need a tranny filter from 98 jeep grand cherokee. I just replaced mine with part number FK227 from oreilly auto parts. No leaks two weeks later and everything fit perfect. Tranny code is 30-43LE by AISIN.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:52 AM

I have a Montero sport 1998 W/ 389,000 miles and the same problem of reverse shift.
Actually do not turn over the reverse shift.
Any advise?

regards

Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by axelluis
I have a Montero sport 1998 W/ 389,000 miles and the same problem of reverse shift.
Actually do not turn over the reverse shift.
Any advise?

regards
Did this no reverse issue suddenly pop up or have you been having issues getting it to go into gear. Slipping, slow shift, hard shift, etc? If it was sudden without warning I'd look into swapping the solenoid that controls the reverse gear. Also when's the last time the tranny had a filter and fluid change.

Now for some other questions, 389K miles is mighty impressive, are you the original owner? Replacement engine or original? Just a curious 98 sport owner.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:39 PM

It started when I put the reverse it took a few seconds to activate (6 years ago). Then it took longer, so I had to accelerate the engine to activate the reverse and finally it does not activate the reverse for about a year. Sometimes only when the engine is warm and after a long ride. Never the trans oil had replaced. Engine and trans are original. Im the only owner.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by axelluis
It started when I put the reverse it took a few seconds to activate (6 years ago). Then it took longer, so I had to accelerate the engine to activate the reverse and finally it does not activate the reverse for about a year. Sometimes only when the engine is warm and after a long ride. Never the trans oil had replaced. Engine and trans are original. Im the only owner.
Never had the fluid changed? That's spooky, check your transmission fluid level and condition. If you can't check fluid level when hot(after driving) then aim for the cold check, just pull the dip stick when the engine is cold and use the cold mark on the dipstick as a reference, it's not as accurate by a good margin but it does give a decent indicator. If you can drive it to let the transmission get up to operating temperature, run it through all the gears(P,R,N,D,2,L) and then select neutral, engage the parking brake. With engine running, pull the transmission dipstick and see what the fluid level is. You'll be looking for the "hot" side. This is the most accurate way to check the fluid level. If your fluid is black like oil, you need a fluid change, I wouldn't do a flush by any means, especially at that mileage. Use only Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII from the dealership. My apologies if you already know how to do this, just trying to help. After doing this, if it doesn't fix anything, you'd then want to look into more advanced diag. It could be anything at that crazy awesome mileage but we'll start with fluid level and condition.

On another note, that's some awesome mileage to have for an original owner. I wish I could say I was the original owner of mine but it's had three before me and I had to replace the engine at 230K.