Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

99monty Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Default 99monty Lift

I have a 99 Montero. I have done a bunch of
work on it and it is a great vehicle, but you have to turn wrenches in order to own one.
I'm trying to get mine set up for real trails and black top as well. I looked into the Ole Man Emu product. They really don't give that much to offer and the torsion bars they sell I have to question. They are no different from the orig. so why bother. Just do the count on the threads and change that yourself for free. (In other words, because of that I didn't trust them and I didn't want to be ripped off). I have not been able to find a way to lift the front end enough to support the heavy bumper and winch that I have installed. I have a lift kit from Russia that is suppose to give a 2inch lift. Which it did great on the rear, but not so much on the front with the added weight on the nose. All the added weight of the bumper and winch have caused the rig to do a nose dive and the front tires rub on medium bumps. Does anyone make coil over springs or something to lift the front end ??? I put Bilstein shocks on the front. and it made little difference. any info would be very helpful Also, I have not added any extended bump stops because I have not been able to find them, Will it make a difference ? Based on the photo, it looks ok, but the front still rubs and actually sits about 2 inch. lower than the rear.
I'm running 33 x 12.50 on 16 inch rims. Just a little more help on the front would be great...

Last edited by crazy99; 08-11-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: to better explain the situation
Old 08-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Default 99 monty

anyone ???

Last edited by crazy99; 08-11-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: stupid response
Old 08-29-2021, 12:04 PM

Thats a real bad azzzz looking Monty you got. I have a stock 94 Monty, and have not dealt with these suspension issues. Surely there is someone in the forum who can advise.
Maybe Hunter has some experience with this?

Old 08-30-2021, 04:36 PM

Unfortunately I don't think can't help with this. I have no experience with this besides knowing that OME has three different weight/load options for front end of my 2001 Limited. But that is springs/strut setup, not torsion bars.
I think if you have torsion bars, there are only couple ways to raise the front further:
1. keep cranking on those bolts.
2. Perhaps it is possible to "preload" TB by turning (indexing) them couple teeth too far from the start.
3. See if anyone makes Torsion Bar Keys for Lift. Those will have the end of the TB indexed slightly different form OEM and thus provide some extra lift.
As far as I know that is it.

How heavy is your front bumper?

Old 08-30-2021, 04:47 PM

Sorry can't help on the lift. Are you looking for a low profile bump stop? If so I got these off Amazon, $14 for a 2 pack:
Amazon Amazon
(Energy Suspension 9.9102G Low Profile Bump Stop - Pack of 2)

Old 08-30-2021, 05:37 PM

Thanks hunter. I know that OME makes a different torsion bar. But after watching a few aussies show how to take the original tb's and mark the groves, it seemed to me that they were just selling the same thing for profit. I have never seen any info to prove that different. My problem is, if I turn the tb's too far , it will not pass inspection here in VA. So my next step is to go ahead and turn them one more grove and hope it works out. But before that I have to take care of a major oil spill that is
taking place. Got to pull the engine and most likely the tranny as I believe the rear main seal just gave out.
Bummer. Once that is taken care of, the torsion bars get tweeked one more mark.
I will let everyone know if this works out, otherwise I'm still seeking help on lifting.
The weight of the bumper and winch is around 3-350 lbs . I just removed it and the front end lifted 1 1/4" on the spot.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:43 PM

Thanks MontyG .. I will look into those bumpstops. If you own a monty, you know how hard it is to find info and parts.
Thanks again..