Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

wanna lift my rig, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Default wanna lift my rig, need help.

So as the title states, I need to go higher! " 2003 ltd" I love this truck but the approach and departure clearance are not the best, plus I wanna run 32's...sooooo! Its time to add lift!

Im having trouble locating coil spring spacers does anyone know where to get them or if using h.d. springs will add lift? has anyone lifted their gen3 monty?

Thanks all

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Get a full suspension kit by Old Man Emu. The kit come with 4 replacement springs and 4 shocks. Everything swaps directly in place of the OEM components. No need for shims or spacers. I got mine (for '01 Montero Limited) from Rocky Road Outfitters. Works like a charm.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM

I checked those out yesterday and they are sweet. Its a little expensive but if you wanna lift im finding out the old man is probably gonna be the way to go. The only issue is price, its not that the parts are too expensive its the entire package. $800 for 1.75 is a lot. Maybe im just used to pml with cranking the torsion bars re-indexing the bump stops and extended rear shackles, go get an alignment and your done for under $250 and you got almost 2 inches. I may try and outsource to Australia or u.k. they use these rigs more for offroading than us here in the states, they may have more options. I do know that if I go the old man route I will only get the h.d. springs and then order some bilstein hd 4600, I've used them many times on other rigs and have never been let down.

Thanks HunterD

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM

I've been running the HD kit from OME on my Gen. III for many years.
Some folks have added shims to the coils to gain a bit more lift, but I'm not sure where they sourced the product. (This will push the drive-line tolerance beyond OEM specs.
The suspension lift is pretty decent...you can stuff bigger tires in the wheel wells, but I went this route for load carrying ability off road. With the constant load HD coil set up from OME the rig drives great when fully laden for a adventure. The down side is that it needs about 200lbs to engage the coil; the rig will ride stiff otherwise. The approach angle is best improved by swapping the front bumper with one that provides a better angle. The departure angle is fairly poor with the stock bumper and recovery points hanging up the most often. Trimming the "mud flaps" help keep the rear bumper damage down a bit as well.
HTH
If you are looking for a set up other than the OME, check out Lovell coils.
I've heard good things about them when they are mated with HD Bilsteins.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM

arb has a set of old man emu that you can buy..

the price is a bit high, but you are getting a quality lift.