Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Advice on Buying 3rd Gen Montero unseen - rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 AM

shazbot......Thanks for the detailed report. Glad you finally found one that is the right color and seems to be in great shape. Stupid dealer leaving the wheel lugs loose.......must have boozoos in his shop.

My 94 Montero still had the nice old-fashioned inner/outer bearings. They are great "if" the owner remembers to clean/repack them every so often. When I bought this Montero a year ago, the bearings were in urgent need of fresh grease.....you can see that they only had a thin film of a muddy substance which years ago may have been "grease": The inner/outer races were still in good shape, and the bearings were fine.......but I think they would have been toast if I had not done this.

I also watched a youtube mechanic show how he will use a "grease needle" to add grease to sealed bearings......but then I guess you run the risk of water getting into the bearings. But for an emergency repair, I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM

Yeah, I've done a bunch of bearings - but as HunterD pointed out - these are replace only. (Thanks for the info!) So I can't service mine... I'll just check them out thoroughly when I go through the brakes.

Found some floor mats for sale by Mitsubishi themselves that I just ordered too! Appears nobody makes the nice aftermarket ones for the Montero, so I'd need to get a "universal" and cut it down. Mitsu factory replacements on the way!

Now I have to start researching stereo replacements. I saw one online where someone had relocated the a/c vent controls to the lower opening to allow a double DIN head unit to be installed.