Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Car buying, sight unseen, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Default Car buying, sight unseen, opinions?

Short story, I'm looking at a very rare 3000GT, but it's half a country away. I had the seller take it to Mitsu for an inspection, and here's what the issues are:

The dealership checked it out, and there's a leak in the transmission pan gasket and the brakes are down to 20%. Does anyone know how much this stuff costs to replace?
Also, there's no cat on the car due to the aftermarket exhaust, and also the resonators are not there either. Will this pass emissions?
Everything else works though.
Apparently this guy didn't do maintenance on the car other than oil changes. All the belts, hoses and whatnot are all original.
Finally got the VIN from the service guys too. Nice people.
Carfax checks out. Car was in a slight accident, but it's not in the Carfax. No damage to frame. 61,128 miles on it as of today.
What do you all think? Go for it?
People in my other forums are saying that it's probably been driven hard and wouldn't be worth it to replace everything that's wrong with it. And it only has 60k miles on it. I'm guessing a good $2000 or so with the 60k, brakes and if I'd have to replace the exhaust so it has a cat again.

The upside is that this guy accepted my offer for $3000 below KBB private party value. But this was before the inspection. And I'd have to get this shipped to me, which might cost a good $700 or so too.
Thanks all for all your help.

Opinions, opinions?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Default RE: Car buying, sight unseen, opinions?

i don't remember reading this or not... is it a vr4 or not? what year is it? original belts? (yeah, if you don't do all the maintenance yourself, you'll be looking at around 1500 just to get the 60k tune up done, plus any other problems you run into.

the car really isn't that big of a deal... it depends on if you live in a state that does emmissions testing. do you? and, any exhaust shop should be able to put one up there (i'd just get one off another forum and take it to them) the whole exhaust doesn't need to be take off. how's the body? (did he get the 100 dollar inspection done, or the free one? (i did this with a car i recently bought)

did he actually send you a copy of the sheet, or is he just saying that he's reading this to you? if not, ask him to scan you a copy so you can actually have one.

good luck

_isiah

Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Car buying, sight unseen, opinions?

Hey, thanks! I had the inspection done on the car, and the sheet was faxed to me. The seller has a cat, and we do emissions here, so it can be replaced. I havea shop that will be able to do the 60k for under $800. The body is excellent, as the guy had everything fixed from the accident. Yes, all original belts and hoses.
I think I'm just going to go for it. She's going to be a replacement daily driver, a 99 SL.