Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Anyone change brake rotors on 01-06 Montero (not sport)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Arrow Anyone change brake rotors on 01-06 Montero (not sport)?

I'm going to be tackling a full replacement of rotors and pads this coming weekend.

I have the service manual, but it just shows a break down of the calipers/pads.

so it looks like is to move the caliper out of the way and rotor comes off.

Anyone have any experience on doing it themselves that I should look forward to?

My biggest concern is the bolts being difficult to brake loose.

I will make a write up if I end up doing it myself and I remember to take photos.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM

I overhauled my calipers, and replaced my rotors and pads, and changed over to dot4 fluid on my 02 limited. The calipers are not difficult to remove, two bolts and then the two holding the support frame. Have the rotors been milled to proper factory spec? You'll find it in the factory manual. They won't fit otherwise. Some come pre milled, but the ones I have purchased in the past have had to be milled. One set I ordered charged me an extra few dollars to have it done before they shipped, the last ones I bought i had to take to a brake shop to have milled. Also depending on how many miles you have on them the little screws that hold the rotor in place will be stuck. I mean REALLY stuck! I drilled mine out. Took two seconds. You don't need them, but they are convenient when you are trying to refit the caliper. The rotor will move around some. Again, this screw has NO EFFECT on braking. While you have the rear rotors of don't forget to inspect your parking brake.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM

thank you for the reply and what to look forward to FireDoc.

I will post my experience shortly. I should be working on it this Sunday.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Just make sure you fit the rear pads into the the slots on the calipers. I also adjusted the E brake. Adjusts like old style drum brakes, which is exactly what they are. I also used ceramic pads. Really stop well, are quiet and NO DUST.