Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Auto trans fluid change???

Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Default Auto trans fluid change???

I have never owned or even changed the fluid in a auto trans before. Just wondering if some one could help me out. Where to fill and how much is needed, is what I am wondering. 2002 mits. montero sport 3.0

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

I'm not sure about what the capacity of the Sport trans is, check in your owners manual under "capacities". Dose your rig have a trans cooler?
This goes much faster if you have someone in the driver seat to start and stop the engine.
My 2002 Monty trans fluid exchange goes like this:

Disconnect the line from the trans cooler and fit a hose over it to drain the old fluid into a bucket.

With vehicle in N, start and stop the engine in one to two minute bursts. This will pump the old fluid out of the lines and the cooler.

When no more fluid comes out it's time to drain the trans pan.

Pull the drain plug and drain fluid into a bucket then reinstall drain plug.

Estimate how much fluid you have drained. Pour that much new fluid in. Using a funnel, you fill through the dip stick tube.

Continue pumping out old fluid as in the second step, but this time add new fluid about one quart at a time until new fluid is being pumped out.

Reconnect hose and replace dip stick.

Remember to find out your capacity so you can buy enough AFT.
I would also strongly suggest using only Mitsubishi AFT.
Good Luck