Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Can't get this thing outta park!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Default Can't get this thing outta park!!

hey people! need some advice on a 2003 Montero Sport LS.

I'm having some electrical issues with my car... The problem is that when i try to start nothing happens. i hear a slight clinking noise sorta behind the glove box and nothing. My shifter is stuck in park and most of the time wont shift... every now and then it will travel through the gears but doesn't allow me to start it in neutral. The car was running fine one day & the next kaput! the only weird thing was that yesterday my interior lights stayed on for a little while longer than they should off, which kinda makes me think that this is not a battery problem, but then again it might be (i'm getting my battery tested today after work).

Could it be a bad sensor, solenoid, a linkage problem with my trans? has anyone else had this problem before?

Thanks y'all in advance.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Default RE: Can't get this thing outta park!!

Doesn't sound familiar.

Start with the most obvious suspect, the battery, before worrying about the other stuff. The clicking noise sounds like the starter soleniod trying to engage but with not enough juice from the battery.

As far as the shift linkage is concerned, there is both a mechanical (cable) and electric interlock that insures you have your foot on the brake pedal and have the push button pushed in on the shift handle.One of these interlocks could be faulty but without makeing sure you have a good battery you're shooting in the dark.

Ron

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM

clean your battery cables make sure the battery is fully charged

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 AM

also check if your having issues with your shift lock, shift cable assembly specially if your having to press your brake pedal harder than usual when trying to start or trying to shift (key off)