Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Changed the water pump, timing belt now it won't start

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Default Changed the water pump, timing belt now it won't start

I Changed the water pump, timing belt ( and other belts) and the auto tensioner adjuster. Now my truck won't start. I triple checked my timing marks and rotated the pulley at least 3 times to make sure the auto adjuster tightened the timing belt. When I first tried to start the truck it sounded like it was going to start but nothing. Now it just won't start. Anyone experience this or know what my problem is.

95 Montero LS 3.0 122k

Old 08-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Default RE: Changed the water pump, timing belt now it won't start

if you're absolutely sure your timing marks are right on after the belt is tensioned then that makes it difficult. only thing i can think of is that when you were wrenchin around u might have messed up the crank position sensor otherwise nothin u did should prevent it from starting

Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. Internet problem now I'm back online. I have a mechanic friend helping me and hedid the proceedure from the beginning and he said I might have damaged valves or pistons. (I doubt it though). Could there be fuel flow or electrical problem?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 PM

dont doubt....if ur timing is off u may have damaged the vavles.......could be misfires check all ur lines make sure theyre connected

Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 PM

What can I do to check for damaged valves?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM

u got to take off ur cam/valve covers and pull them out...they could be bent....
check these out
valve study thing
this helps too

Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM

no easy way to check...u still gotta take the upper half of ur engeine apart

Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 AM

except for taking off the intake plenum checking compression is a decent way to tell you if you got a serious problem (BENT VALVES). remember an engine needs 3 things to run and if nothing else works u gotta start checking the basics
[ul][*]fuel: fuel pressure, injectors, fuel regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel supply and return lines clogged or pinched, also your car may have an inertia safety switch that may be tripped[*]ignition: check for misfire might even doublecheck timing even if it is electronic, check your coils, wires, plugs, crank position sensor, cam position sensor[*]compression: make sure you've got good balanced compression to all cylinder. if not it's probably gonna cost you[/ul]
by the way did you replace the belt out of maintainence or becausethe enginejumped time. if you never heard any kind of clanking while turning the engine over you probably don't have bent valves. and i dont know about you car but a lot of engines with timing belts are made so that the pistons can't come in cotact with the valves even if the pistons are at the top of the cylinder and valves are open

Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I replaced the timing belt while installing a new water pump. The old one was bad.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Well if you did bend the valves it would be obvious because when you crank it,the enginewould sound very oddly smooth because there would be no compression. To have bent the valves your timing belt would have had to be considerably off. Most likely you either have the timing belt a couple of notches off or you forgot to reconnect something you disconnected. When you put the timing belt on did you make sure that you lined the timing marks up so with tension they were in the right spot because if you lined it up w/out tension as soon as you released the tensioner it would have moved 2-3 notches wich sounds like your problem. The fact you said it tried to start tells me that youprobably have fuel and spark which leaves compression and timing, making the alignment of the timing belt suspect. I don't know if your Monty has a distributorless ignition or not but if it does make sure you didn't harm the crank or cam position sensors and that all your coil packs are working
If you're certain about your timing marks then thing that is gonna tell you the most about whats going on is a compression test. Bent valves will give you a reading at or close to zero, if the timing belt is off then compresion will be much lower that specified, and if its perfect on allcylinders then you know that the timing belt isn't the problem. If that all checks out pull a plug, touch it to the engine and crank the engine to see if you got a good blue spark. if that checks out spray some starter fluid in the intake, and if that works you know you're not getting fuel.
An engine needs fuel, spark, timing, and compression. Its one of them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed the water pump, timing belt now it won't start