Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

cold idling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 12:07 PM
Default cold idling issue

My 1995 montero sr 3.5l has a cold idling issue. I rebuilt the engine ~ 2 years ago, it ran perfect, started first time ever time, till about 30 days ago. All of a sudden ( no changes to vehicle) when the engine is cold, it takes 3-4 attempts to start and will not idle, keeps dying.. if i feather the accelerator to keep it running and drive it till it warms up fully, it runs and idles perfect. i'm assuming the change point is when the engine goes from open loop fueling to closed loop . i have changed the fuel filter and the air/temp sensor unit, no change. there are no error codes occuring. i use a pc software called evoscan, collected a lot of data, but my last of detailed knowledge about what the proper values are for many of the ecid's, i did not identify a problem, i attached the data for your review and feedback, any ideas are greatly appreciated

Attached Files
Old 11-16-2021, 06:28 PM

Can't quite make sence of the data you posted.
Your RPMs fluctuate and drop very low at times. Fuel trims are all over as well. Two things I'd suspect first:
1. Pretty big vacuum leak (busted intake hose or similar)
2. Idle control solenoid issues (IAC).

Old 11-16-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ceharlow
My 1995 montero sr 3.5l has a cold idling issue. I rebuilt the engine ~ 2 years ago, it ran perfect, started first time ever time, till about 30 days ago. All of a sudden ( no changes to vehicle) when the engine is cold, it takes 3-4 attempts to start and will not idle, keeps dying.. if i feather the accelerator to keep it running and drive it till it warms up fully, it runs and idles perfect. i'm assuming the change point is when the engine goes from open loop fueling to closed loop . i have changed the fuel filter and the air/temp sensor unit, no change. there are no error codes occuring. i use a pc software called evoscan, collected a lot of data, but my last of detailed knowledge about what the proper values are for many of the ecid's, i did not identify a problem, i attached the data for your review and feedback, any ideas are greatly appreciated
Have you tested fuel pressure? It's not unheard of to have a fuel pump present this main symptom and it slowly go away as the engine warms up. The idea is that the exhaust slowly warms up the fuel tank/fuel pump and it's able to operate better. A faulty IAC (Idle Air Control valve) can present the same symptoms as well. I suppose the ICM (Ignition Control Module) could cause this issue as well. I'm not too familiar with the 95 monteros but if it's anything like my 98 sport, the IAC should be attached to the throttlebody right underneath the opening and the ICM should be dead center of the engine above the intake manifold/plenum, right next to where the cam and crank sensors plug into the wiring harness.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:26 PM

thanks for the replies, i will look in my service manual to find procedures to test these items. then i'll reply with findings

thanks again