Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Default Cold start issue

My 95 SR is tricky to start when cold. When left sitting overnight starting the truck requires slightly depressing the gas pedal or it immediately stalls. If you manage to hold the rpm (via pedal pressure) and keep it there til it warms up say a minute or 2, then the idle will hold and it will keep running. I cleaned the IAC valve checked for air leaks but no change. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jerry

Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 PM

hold the rpm (via pedal pressure) and keep it there til it warms up say a minute or 2.

(on a vehicle with similar complaint i hold it at 1500rpm until the revs begin to increase. this means that whatever valve needs to be open is open and makes driving quicker. usually takes less than a minute.)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM

Yup that's exactly what I'm doing,but it's not normal,especially for a fuel injected vehicle. I can do it but my wife can't,if I want to keep the truck ,she has to be able to use it. So I'm trying to fix it.
Thanks

Old 06-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Default Time to the air stuff. look at hoses

Originally Posted by styyy
My 95 SR is tricky to start when cold. When left sitting overnight starting the truck requires slightly depressing the gas pedal or it immediately stalls. If you manage to hold the rpm (via pedal pressure) and keep it there til it warms up say a minute or 2, then the idle will hold and it will keep running. I cleaned the IAC valve checked for air leaks but no change. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jerry
About to make my first sustained effort to fix a similar symptoms.

Gonna clean the area where the air comes in before getting mixed with gas.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 AM

Sounds like your idle speed may be set too low. Have you disconnected the negative battery terminal for a minute,reconnected, and allowed the truck to idle for 10 or so minutes so it can relearn the idle?

I had the same issue when I first purchased my 95 LS, and I had to increase the idle a bit with adjusting the closed throttle position switch, which is the screw on top of the throttle body next to the TPS. I adjusted it very slowly and carefully.

I can pM you the FSM steps to reset this, if it is indeed what the issue it, it may help.

-Gary

Old 12-16-2021, 02:33 PM

Sir,
I m having a very similar issue. Started happening all of a sudden. based on my trouble shooting with a certified mechanics help, we believe either the TPS ( throttle position sensor) or the ICS ( idle control solenoid) has failed.
I just ordered both items off ebay. A total of ~ $30. once i get the parts and install them i will write an update with the results. it will be approx a week or two, before i have results
hope this helps
Chris